Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   My new oil shopping method (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/my-new-oil-shopping-method-5053.html)

MnFocus 06-17-2007 10:22 AM

My new oil shopping method

Been watching the automotive racks at a number of retailers . One or two must place orders in a minimum quantity (in these two places literally 1 case of 12 quarts) . Day 1: 5 qts sold @ $5.97/qt .Day 2 : 4 qts sold @ $5.97/qt. Day 3 : Synthetic oil for $2.50 a qt ! Only 3 qts though -this is ok as I'm building inventory ! . The next week another new case on the shelf and within 3 days again 9 qts sold . The following day 3 qts of synthetic for $2.50 /qt . Net price 6 qts for $15 for a savings of $21 off retail . Only $1.50/qt more than the cheapest dino oil .
Some times it does pay to be a cheapskate !

Hockey4mnhs 06-17-2007 11:00 AM

oh it always pays off if ya do it right!

JanGeo 06-17-2007 12:35 PM

Stop wasting your money on oil and change once to Synlube!
Save money and time on oil changes
Save money on gas by getting more MPG
Reduce wear on engine and transmission
Runs quieter and smoother with less blowby on the rings

www.synlube.com

Maillemann 06-18-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 58879)
Stop wasting your money on oil and change once to Synlube!
www.synlube.com

WOW.

I can't think of anything I'd buy from a company with web design that bad. Much less anything going into my vehicle's engine. Besides which, I don't have the time to go into how sketchy their claims or product come off and, in fact, are. "Solid Colloids in Fluid"? PTFE? Greaaaaat. I'll stay far away, thanks.

Any good synthetic can be run for just about as long as you want, so long as it is kept analytically clean, but to do that you really need a partial-pass oil filter setup, which I don't see on that site. Sure, they offer their super-duper oil filters, which to me sound just like off the shelf filters. In fact, they claim that they trap "particles that are up to 4 times smaller (10 microns vs. 40 microns )". Ya know, last I checked, FRAM Extra Guard and K&N Gold were both 10 micron filters, and even regular ol' filters are in the 15-30 micron range - not 40! In any case, the smaller you go, the faster it's gonna clog up, thus the need for the bypass filter.

MnFocus 06-18-2007 12:06 PM

I'm just really warming up to extended drains ...lets not push the envelope with a lifetime crankcase fill .
I've heard of people going with Synlube and not looking back and I've heard others put it down (obviously with no personal experience ) . Out of everything I've seen/heard only *one* negative - and a serious one in my eyes - actual first hand experience ( I won't go into the details as it would be second hand info ). That one experience is enough to sway me away until more have done the dirty work . I may 'consider' it in the future but warranty is what warranty does .