Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Newbie from eastern PA! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/newbie-from-eastern-pa-5103.html)

SL8Brick 06-20-2007 07:25 AM

Newbie from eastern PA!

Greetings all! I've been posting here for about a week, but I've just decided to make myself known here.

I'm SL8Brick. I live in the Philly burbs and have been employed in the automotive field for about 24yrs. I've spent the last 15yrs as a parts consultant for VW/Audi. My Family & Volvos are my passion.
My daily ride is a 1993 Volvo 240 station wagon with over 254,000 miles on it. No, they're not the most thrifty vehicles when it comes to FE, but thier potential longevity & overall practicality make them green cars in my book.
My Wife drives a 2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr(2.0ltr gas/auto). In all honesty, the big, boxy Volvo gets close to the same mileage as the Vdub...2.0s are rather thirsty engines. I hate to say it, but FE is not high on my Wife's list of priorities. But maybe with a little persistance, I can sway her to become a bit more conscience of it.
Anyway....thanx for reading and I hope be a sponge while I'm here and soak up all the info I can!

Later,

SL8Brick

MetroMPG 06-20-2007 07:29 AM

Well, officially: welcome!

SL8Brick 06-20-2007 07:50 AM

Thanx MetroMPG. I was viewing your Firefly in 'the garage'....very impressive!

My Wife & I used to own a `94 Swift GA 4dr. She absolutely loved that car. It was quick, nimble and very easy to maintain. We purchased it new and put ~60k miles on it before we traded it in on my current Volvo wagon.

MetroMPG 06-20-2007 08:20 AM

From what I've learned since joining here, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 4 cyl Suzukiclone with a 5-spd. I think they could return really respectable numbers in either hatch or sedan form.

EDIT: before we parted out the 93 Swift 1.3 hb for the ForkenSwift, I really liked the way it felt to drive. Nimble for sure.

JanGeo 06-20-2007 08:50 AM

Hey welcome . . . now think about this . . . 250,000 miles at 25mpg is 10,000 gallons of gas at $3 a gallon that comes out to how much GREEN? $30,000 you have to look at the bigger picture sometimes.

SL8Brick 06-20-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 59571)
Hey welcome . . . now think about this . . . 250,000 miles at 25mpg is 10,000 gallons of gas at $3 a gallon that comes out to how much GREEN? $30,000 you have to look at the bigger picture sometimes.

Thanks for the welcome, JanGeo!
Wow, you really had to 'spell it out' for me, didn't ya'? ;)

I think I know where you're coming from. I'm kind of viewing the 'big picture' from a different angle, so I'll ask you to ponder this.......

Which is more cost efficient and/or ecologically friendly?...Driving a vehicle that gets 40mpg but only has an average life expectancy of ~6ys or driving a vehicle that gets only 25mpg and has an average life expectancy of over 12yrs?

car payment??? junk yard???.....what's that?? :D

XFi 06-20-2007 11:12 AM

Welcome SL8Brick! I am in SE PA also. (Perkasie)

I wholeheartedly believe that you should make an effort to maximize your MPG no matter what vehicle you drive. By being on this site, you show that you are. Not every vehicle is a 40-50mpg fuel sipper.

Ever since the begining of the automotive era, cars have been an enjoyment. There are many issues to consider including the enviroment, utility and your wallet ;) . But, if the Volvo is your passion, so be it...drive it and enjoy it.

You should get your neighbor with the red Festiva to Join also! :)

SL8Brick 06-20-2007 12:16 PM

Perkasie, eh? Well, I live in Schwenksville....so you're not too far away. And believe it or not, I think I've actually seen your distinctive ride on our local roads. Small world.:cool:

XFi 06-20-2007 12:52 PM

Schwenksville is only 1/2 hr from me. Wouldn't be suprised if you have seen my car...I get around alot for work. Again, Good to have you on the site. BTW, FE is not high on my Wife's list of priorities either :(.

She puts up with me, but is a hard one to 'convert'. :)

Hockey4mnhs 06-20-2007 02:01 PM

I've spent the last 15yrs as a parts consultant for VW/Audi.
:D

dont have a audi but there my favorite!!

welcome to the site

GasSavers_roadrunner 06-20-2007 02:29 PM

Welcome to GasSavers....................
I too am from Perkasie, not far from you.
This is a great spot to learn about getting better mileage!

SVOboy 06-20-2007 07:29 PM

We should have a philly meet in chinatown this september when I'm back! Welcome!