Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Hypermiling is saving me money in other ways (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/hypermiling-is-saving-me-money-in-other-ways-5125.html)

mpg_maniac 06-22-2007 04:45 AM

Quote:

am I the only one who gets in their car, puts on the steat belt and all that, starts moving then starts their engine?
I can get a little over 1 mile before I start my car.
Quote:

On the topic of cooling, if there's a mini-commute between your driveway and the freeway on ramp, open up all your windows to let as much hot air out as possible.
I typically open all windows every so often when in EOC mode down a decent hill. Opening for a few seconds to circulate in a cool breeze keeps the car's insides from cooking me without having to turn on the A/C

Bill in Houston 06-22-2007 07:08 AM

Leaving the windows cracked just a wee bit makes a big difference in how hot my car gets inside.

RH77, if you hit the recirc button, you can keep the outsude air from coming in. But I think I am misunderstanding something. For me, I turn on the fan, recirc the air, and then manually cycle the compressor to get the temperature I want.

ma4t 06-22-2007 07:11 AM

Dittos on leaving the windows open a bit.

Having a garage is always nice, too.

m

rh77 06-22-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston (Post 60189)
Leaving the windows cracked just a wee bit makes a big difference in how hot my car gets inside.

RH77, if you hit the recirc button, you can keep the outsude air from coming in. But I think I am misunderstanding something. For me, I turn on the fan, recirc the air, and then manually cycle the compressor to get the temperature I want.

To clarify...that's with the Fan in the "off" position (or essentially the whole system off including A/C, still blows hot air without any fan engagement). To reduce drag at highway speeds, I tend to get the air from either 1-2" of window-down. I may able to engage the recirc diverter, then switch the system off to prevent the airflow. Otherwise I could try fan speed 1 on vent-recirc (no A/C) to draw cooler air and not get blasted with the heat. Good idea :thumbup:

RH77

GasSavers_StanleyD 06-22-2007 09:22 AM

Windows down going downhill

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_maniac (Post 60167)
I can get a little over 1 mile before I start my car.

I typically open all windows every so often when in EOC mode down a decent hill. Opening for a few seconds to circulate in a cool breeze keeps the car's insides from cooking me without having to turn on the A/C

This site makes you do the nerdiest things. First my job laughs at me everyday as I tell them what Im gonna try next.
I have been warming up the car for maybe 30 seconds instead of a few minutes. I now crawl (just let it idle in while in gear) up the block and my car is just about warmed up by the time I hit the corner, so Im no really driving off wit the car still cold. I also roll down the window about halway everytimne I half to brake on a hot day or when Im coasting downhill. have an aoutomatic 98 Camry and coast with the engine on by just poppinh the gear stick into neutral. Not bold enough yet to drive with engine off. Personally, I dont think its bery safe. I always wonder if the constant shift from neutral back to gear will mess up my tranny or if the constant rolling down then back up of the windows is bad for tranny as Im putting extra load on alternator with window motor.
Lastly, I always try to EOC into my parking spot if I dont need to turn and can just roll into an easy spot. (Difficult on my block as parking is a nuisance) but easy when I visit my girl as she has hydrant in front of her house
https://www.gassavers.org/gaslog/sig.php?id=547

Bill in Houston 06-22-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 60208)
I may able to engage the recirc diverter, then switch the system off to prevent the airflow.
RH77

Yeah, yeah, that is what you do! Thanks for clarifying what I said. Or meant to say... :-)