Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   1998 Honda CRV is Now Happy! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/1998-honda-crv-is-now-happy-5234.html)

GasSavers_fuelmiser 06-29-2007 06:26 PM

1998 Honda CRV is Now Happy!

I have a 1998 Honda CRV and because of this site I have drastically improved its fuel economy. I used to get 250 miles on a full tank but on my last tank I got 322 miles with 2 gallons remaining in the tank when I filled up! Wow!

Because of this website I have done alot of things to my car.

1. My tires were at one time at 26psi (recommended Honda psi). But now they are at 40 psi. What a difference with the new tire pressure. The car coasts so much further. Very obvious feeling!

2. I changed the spark plugs, replaced differential fluid, replaced auto transmission fluid.

3. I took out my K&N filter. It has been in there since I bought the car. I dont know about the rest of u guys but I think the K&N made my FE worse! Of course I cannot prove that because I made all these changes to my car at the same time. I replaced the K&N with a brand new Honda air filter.

Alot of my driving habits have changed. And according to this message board is the most important change you can make. I live on a hill so one third of my driving involves going uphill. I dont race up the hill anymore like before. I have tried engine off coasting but it's a bit dangerous since the power brakes and power steering are turned off. I also noticed that if ur engine is off...the odometer doesnt increase. So I guess with this practice ur car will accumulate less miles on the odometer. I am trying to get to 400 miles on one full tank. But I think im really reaching...Another guy on another message board attained this but since I live on a hill this might be a little difficult. I coast in neutral every chance I get. I note upcoming red lights more often so that I coast to it. I bought a Scangauge 2 to monitor all of this also. Thank you gassavers.org!!!

slurp812 06-29-2007 06:34 PM

When I EOC I turn off the car, and as soon as the motor dies completely, turn the key back on right away, to register those coasting miles.

GasSavers_fuelmiser 06-29-2007 06:39 PM

yes I know that but if u keep it on the first position it won't accumulate miles. Second position (where dashboard light are all turned on) accumulates miles.

SVOboy 06-29-2007 06:41 PM

Buy yourself a scanguage 2! Welcome!

GasSavers_fuelmiser 06-29-2007 06:46 PM

I was thinking of lowering the car and getting a front undercarriage skid plate to improve aerodynamics but that's just more $$$ to spend.

Bill in Houston 06-29-2007 07:32 PM

Coroplast is cheap!

ma4t 06-30-2007 06:12 PM

My best modification to date has been driving habits.

m

Bennet Pullen 07-02-2007 02:13 PM

When I EOC I only turn the key back one click (from "on" to accessory) and when the engine dies I go back to "on". That way you accumulate almost all of the miles you actually drive, and at least in my car I still have power steering. So yes, the key is in the second position, dash lights on, while I EOC.

I haven't really played with tire pressure yet, though your results make me exited to try, especially the part about longer coasting :)

petty 07-17-2009 11:00 PM

I was thinking of having modifications on my honda crv parts or just replacing my old GX22SA engine. Any tips?