Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New guy (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-guy-5240.html)

michaelbaranowski 06-30-2007 04:29 AM

New guy

I am a new guy. Seems that most of yall have a small cars and are getting great mileage. Well I am prettty much on the other end of the curve. I drive a 4x4 Ford Ranger and only get around 20-21 mpg. But I drive 150 miles a day so I was looking for a few tips. What I would really like to find is a diesel Ranger but they pretty hard to find in US. Seems like I can find them in every other country in the world but the import cost just doesn't make sence for me to import one.

Michael
Sweeny, TX

MnFocus 06-30-2007 04:34 AM

Welcome to GasSavers Micheal ! Oddly enough a few here also drive Rangers , I'm sure they'll chime in and give some real help to you on the FE .
First I'd bring your tire psi to 80% of sidewall max and go from there .

There are quite a few automakers that cater to two types of people : The USofA and the rest of the world . It is time they woke up .

rh77 06-30-2007 04:46 AM

Welcome

Welcome to GasSavers --

Most techniques that you find here can be applied to nearly any vehicle.

Feel free to add your truck to Garage, with details such as engine, transmission, etc. Also, check out the stickies in the General Discussion Forum for some ideas on where to get started.

Any fuel saved is a good thing :thumbup:

Best FE,
RH77

Bill in Houston 06-30-2007 05:16 AM

Very few people drive enough to pay for a more efficient vehicle just from the savings on gas. I think you might actually be at that point, though. Have you calculated whether it would make sense financially to buy something that gets 40 mpg?

Anyway, welcome, and I know you will learn lots of great things here.

skewbe 06-30-2007 05:48 AM

20 mpg @150miles/day? I'd be looking for a diesel rabbit instead of a diesel ranger, it'd pay for itself in short order if you can live with a beater ;)

you are spending ~$600/month on gas and if you could double your mileage you would save ~$300/month.

GasSavers_Ryland 06-30-2007 06:04 AM

why do you have the truck? it's a small enough truck that if you don't need it you might still be able to get a good price for it, I know alot of people who do construction who are selling off their large trucks, and aren't finding anyone who wants them, if you would want a diesel, I would go for something like a VW TDI and get a trailer hitch, and a small trailer for those times that you want to haul large amounts of stuff, if you like going off road, then think about getting an ATV, or a dirt bike, or a beater truck, we have a Ford Ranger 2 wheel drive, and we try hard not to use it at all, partly due to gas, and partly due to the low comfert leavle of the vehicle.
you can get a hotter thermostat for it, and that will help a little, and a belly pan on it will help with your highway miles, but if you are useing it at a commuter vehicle, then the chances that you are useing it as a truck at all seem pretty slim, and most cars can handle a trailer hitch, and a light trailer for hauling bulky cargo.

michaelbaranowski 06-30-2007 07:07 AM

I have a Ranger cause I am in Texas and a truck is one of those things everyone has. NO, I have it cause it is a caught all. During a week it is a commuter, it goes offroad, it hauls and pulls trailers. I really only want to have one vehicle cause I fill it is better to pay a little more for fuel than to have to pay for insurance , maintance, license tags, etc. twice.

My mom, brother and aunt all have VW beetle diesels and the few times I drive them it has be great. They are great for running up and down the road but just don't see to work for me when I am camping or hauling a bunch of SCUBA gear.

MnFocus 06-30-2007 07:45 AM

No prob with *any* reason you may have to justify its place in your driveway. You have come here for FE help and with most of the tips here you should be able to bring your 20 up to 25 ,if not more, with care and diligence . Definitely add a Garage entry and do start a mpg log - it will help us help you as well as show you what works for you .