Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Instantaneous feed back (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/instantaneous-feed-back-5443.html)

GeekGuyAndy 07-17-2007 05:17 PM

I have nothing, and as much as I'd like a scangauge, I only drive my car 3-5k miles a year. $170 is a lot of money for something to help save on gas when my car doesn't go that far. I'm a little worried that new cars will come up with some new output and make the scangauge useless, but I guess that would only affect me if I bought a brand new car.

I do drive a Chevy Venture 11k miles a year, but gas on that is free (it's used as a shuttle bus type of thing) and it's too dangerous to shift that vehicle into N often because it slips into R way too easy. Also, with a bunch of other people in it, they may not appreciate any noticeable hypermiling techniques! I guess since I don't own it I don't feel comfortable putting the vehicle at risk.

I haven't seen any used SCII online, and it seems anyone here is hooked and isn't selling them.:(

baddog671 07-17-2007 05:44 PM

Would a SGII work on my 95? Wasn't that the first year OBDII was in all cars?

Hockey4mnhs 07-17-2007 06:09 PM

i think im gonna buy a super mid pretty soon i just have one more thing i have to get before that then it is supermid time!

cfg83 07-17-2007 08:13 PM

zpiloto -

Scangauge I

CarloSW2

swng 07-17-2007 08:46 PM

Just voted for O.E.M. I have that on my MB but none on my Yaris:).

MetroMPG 07-18-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekGuyAndy (Post 64112)
I have nothing, and as much as I'd like a scangauge, I only drive my car 3-5k miles a year. $170 is a lot of money for something to help save on gas when my car doesn't go that far.

You're looking too short term! A SG1 or SG2 will help you form habits that you can use for the rest of your life. And, you can take the magic little box from your current car to your next one, etc.

Quote:

I do drive a Chevy Venture 11k miles a year, but gas on that is free (it's used as a shuttle bus type of thing) and it's too dangerous to shift that vehicle into N often because it slips into R way too easy.
I'm surprised to read this about a modern car. I'm assuming it's a column shift. If so, have you tried shifting to N by pushing the lever forward and up with the palm of your hand, rather than the usual "pull, move, release" action? There's a detent at N that will prevent it going to R if you push the lever away from you rather than pull.

GeekGuyAndy 07-18-2007 05:47 AM

That short term always gets me! I'll probably cave in and buy one, I just wish there were cheaper options. It's a lot of money to throw down on saving gas.

I haven't seen that on the Venture but I'l look at it. It's owned by the school though, so I don't want to risk anything I'm not comfortable with.

MetroMPG 07-18-2007 06:08 AM

Yeah, definitely don't do the N thing while driving if you're not comfy with it.

But I'd be very surprised if you weren't able to get to N safely (without hitting R) using the method I described. (You can try it while stopped in D.)

Gary Palmer 07-18-2007 12:56 PM

Alas; I don't feel like I can really vote. I don't have a scangauge, or anything else. The only thing I have is a vacume gauge, a fuel tank and the odometer.

cfg83 07-18-2007 03:32 PM

Gary -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Palmer (Post 64215)
Alas; I don't feel like I can really vote. I don't have a scangauge, or anything else. The only thing I have is a vacume gauge, a fuel tank and the odometer.

Wouldn't you be "other" since the Vacuum Gauge is giving you real time feedback?

CarloSW2