Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Fuel for Civic VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/fuel-for-civic-vx-5568.html)

garyhgaryh 09-18-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIBI (Post 65665)
Sold, no more SUPREME in the VX, I wonder if my MPG will suffer, don't really think, will tell, but since I don't plan to use my car for the next week, will wait.

Nah, I'm getting 47-52 mpg on the cheapest gas available for my vx.
Gary

garyhgaryh 09-18-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigifrith (Post 65695)
I plan on running a tankful of Shell Premium thru my VX. I've read that it contains 10% more of chemicals to clean the engine. After that, it's back to the cheap stuff.

Just put a bottle of techroline every few months. It's about 2.50 bottle at costco. It'll be like getting chevron gas (and I use the mom/pop brand gas).
Gary

Danronian 09-18-2007 12:22 PM

I remember by old 240k miles VX motor hated to have 87 octane in it. To make it not ping I would always have to shift sooner when trying to keep the RPMs low, or I would just run mid-grade.

After I installed the 120k mile motor, it loves the cheap gas. It runs better on the cheap stuff than the old one ever did on the more expensive gas. (Both motors had a full tune-up done on them...I'm guessing the old one had a lot of carbon buildup?)

thisisntjared 09-18-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danronian (Post 72764)
I'm guessing the old one had a lot of carbon buildup?)

very likely it probably also had a bunch of goop in the intake manifold from all those miles. i bet the pcv valve started letting a little too much through into the intake manifold...

1993CivicVX 09-18-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIBI (Post 65643)
The question is mostly for VX owner, but in same time to everyone.

I do run Supreme fuel in my VX since I own it (91-92 octane). Where I live, there are lost of hill to climb and since I don't want to downshift, I put supreme fuel so the car run better (especially at low rpm because VX does run often below 2000rpm). Also, since I'm crussing 60mph (100km/h) on highway, I'm telling myself that I have a better FE with supreme fuel.

I would like to have your thoughts on this.

A mechanic whose opinion I respect said that high octane fuel will make your car burn cleaner (less polluting) but have worse FE. This is what we see with Hybrids. They get okay FE, but could do better if they weren't sooo much cleaner burning than conventional cars. Soo... not sure that it will yield you better FE, but it is better for the environment. Mean how that works, eh? heh

thisisntjared 09-18-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 72815)
A mechanic whose opinion I respect said that high octane fuel will make your car burn cleaner (less polluting) but have worse FE.

that is not always true. actually its definitely not true for my civic.

1993CivicVX 09-21-2007 06:13 PM

I should test it sometime with mine. Does yours get the same or better FE with high octane?

Wait, your Civic Si? I wonder if the sporty nature of your car has anything to do with it. Most sports cars can only use high octane gas. And the Si is a pretty sporty car. Well, that could be the reason, I dunno. My point is, your car prolly isn't going to be representative of non-sporty cars using high octane gas.

SVOboy 09-21-2007 06:16 PM

Our cars weren't built for higher octane, stock combustion would be off...if anything I would say it would hurt mileage and possible emissions (slower burning fuel doesn't combust completely without timing changes and such).

thisisntjared 09-23-2007 05:35 PM

the si has a 10.2:1 compression ratio. its a tad higher than the 90s d series comrades. being sporty doesnt have much to do with it, unless a higher compression ratio is sporty :)