Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Having a few problems with my new car (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/having-a-few-problems-with-my-new-car-5636.html)

atomicradish 08-01-2007 05:41 PM

Having a few problems with my new car

I posted awhile back about getting a new car. It's a '94 Mitsubishi Galant GS. To get it in running order, we had to get 2 new timing belts put on it, along with having 5 valves replaced and a complete valve job. It drove really well for say 150 miles after we had this work done on it, but now another problem has arose. The car did sit for 6 years, so we did expect to run into a few problems...

When you accelerate hard, around 4,000 - 5,000 RPMs, the car holds back. Even if you mash the accelerator to the floor, it wont go any faster. The car lurches as though it is receiving gas intermittently, and it wont go above said RPM. It does not matter what gear the car is in, it always does this. At first I thought it might just be bad gas since what was in it was 6 years old. However after putting a lot of octane boost, and $10 worth of premium in it, it still continues, just as bad as before.

I doubt it is relevant, but this started to happen a little bit after changing the oil in it to a synthetic blend (valvoline 10W-40 max life).

If anyone can help... try to remember that I'm mechanically illiterate.

thanks

QDM 08-01-2007 05:44 PM

First thing that comes to mind is the fuel filter.

Q

omgwtfbyobbq 08-01-2007 06:56 PM

Then the fuel pump, in that order.

unstable bob 08-01-2007 09:56 PM

Gasoline that has been sitting turns into a varnish like state w/i a year's time.
The path the gas must travel to your fuel injectors begins with a strainer/ filtration device on your fuel pump. This can get clogged up, limiting the fuel flow any further. Bad thing about this scenerio is that the fuel tank must be removed to access the fuel pump to fix this problem. The next culprit as mentioned is a clogged fuel filter. This is a much simpler fix. I just don't happen to that kind of luck. I'm in the process of resurrecting a car that has been sitting for about 2 years, and I'm doing new tank/new pump/and new filter. Plus I had to get rid of 15 gallons of "old" premium fuel...:(
Good luck with your endeavor.

atomicradish 08-01-2007 10:17 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

Does anyone have an idea why it didn't start this until recently? Like I said earlier... it drove good for about 100 miles before this problem started to crop up.

unstable bob 08-01-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 66477)
Thanks for the advice guys.

Does anyone have an idea why it didn't start this until recently? Like I said earlier... it drove good for about 100 miles before this problem started to crop up.

Gradual buildup of the gas sediment ["varnish"] on the strainer or in the fuel filter, causing a strangulation effect on fuel flow.

atomicradish 08-01-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable bob (Post 66478)
Gradual buildup of the gas sediment ["varnish"] on the strainer or in the fuel filter, causing a strangulation effect on fuel flow.

Thanks. :thumbup:

omgwtfbyobbq 08-02-2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable bob (Post 66474)
Plus I had to get rid of 15 gallons of "old" premium fuel...:(

Worst smell ever. :thumbdown:

unstable bob 08-02-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 66479)
Thanks. :thumbup:

No prob.

unstable bob 08-02-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 66483)
Worst smell ever. :thumbdown:

I actually work with a guy who smells worse...:rolleyes: