Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   241 On the List (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/241-on-the-list-5646.html)

Mentalic 08-02-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 66579)
I don't think excluding truck fills because you towed something with that tank would be fair. It is what it is; anything else is not quite kosher.

I disagree. Its a baseline with a typical vehicle in normal use as described by the EPA estimates which is valuable for directly comparing similar vehicles.

Towing is a different world and is not a very good indicator of anything since towing 1200lbs is not like towing 5000lbs. Just not apples to apples. I could see plotting under a separate color on the chart as such, towing. But even that is of little value.

Hockey4mnhs 08-02-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentalic (Post 66601)
I disagree. Its a baseline with a typical vehicle in normal use as described by the EPA estimates which is valuable for directly comparing similar vehicles.

Towing is a different world and is not a very good indicator of anything since towing 1200lbs is not like towing 5000lbs. Just not apples to apples. I could see plotting under a separate color on the chart as such, towing. But even that is of little value.

im on your side with this one those are extreme conditions not just regular everyday things.

GasSavers_Ryland 08-02-2007 09:39 PM

It's totaly up to the person keeping the log, but I personaly log everything, even the tank where I loaned my car out and it spent 3 hours driving around with a flat bed dual axle trailer, sure that gave my overall average a dip, but I made a note of that in the online gaslog in the "notes" section.
Not loging a tank because you towed something, is like me not loging a tank because I gave someone a ride, or hauled stuff.

cfg83 08-03-2007 12:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
theclencher -

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 66616)
"Not loging a tank because you towed something, is like me not loging a tank because I gave someone a ride, or hauled stuff."

Exactly. Maybe it's OK to not log car fills when you were speeding, or had it full of people, or had to go into a headwind, or had a mechanical issue, or even just because the FE for the fill sucked. Yeah, that's the ticket. From now on, I'm only going to log fills that show over 40 mpg.

Gotta Log 'em all!

Attachment 805

If the tank is low, just describe the conditions in the gaslog. It's important to know the performance of the vehicle under *all* driving conditions. If you tow your boat in one gaslog entry, you have a baseline to beat the next time your towing that boat.

CarloSW2

cfg83 08-03-2007 12:23 AM

slurp812 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by slurp812 (Post 66590)
MT / AT as well!?

Oh yeah, the idea would be to have lots of Garage options that could become sort criteria for generating lots of performance comparisons. Trying to compare apples to apples, so to speak.

CarloSW2

brucepick 08-03-2007 06:29 AM

I'd prefer a rating of achieved mpg vs. EPA. Either the vehicle's lifetime average or a rolling average of the last x months (6 mo. would give you a span of seasons/temperatures).

That way you're in competition with yourself and the EPA's estimate. Someone getting 30 mpg in a car rated at 20 combined would be even in the standings wth someone getting 75 in a car rated at 50 (both getting 1.5X EPA).

I'd suggest using the "new" EPA-combined numbers for all cars. Those are the #s the EPA site is showing now and it's quite possible the old #s will disappear completely if they haven't already. That way we can standardize for just about every vehicle and not have the support system disappear on us.

IMHO setting up categories for vehicle types leads to a whole bunch of categories pretty quickly. And then what? Some pickups get much better FE than others right "out of the box", same goes for SUVs or any other type vehicle.

brucepick 08-03-2007 06:38 AM

First post in this thread says "I'm number 241 on the fuel list and 188 in the gasoline section."

I'm missing something here - where is the list?
Makes me feel stupid that I can't find it.

Rick Rae 08-03-2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 66646)
I'm missing something here - where is the list?

Garage>Top Ten List>Fuel Economy - View All Vehicles

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 66644)
I'd prefer a rating of achieved mpg vs. EPA.

We have that too.
Garage>Top Ten List>Percent Above EPA Rating - View All Vehicles

Rick

bbgobie 08-03-2007 08:05 AM

Is everyone gonna want a new category until they are in the top 10?

SUV with < 10 miles per day + a/c users + state name starts with "A" / GM Drivers TOP 10 WOOOT!

Its gonna get messy. Does that crossover count as a minivan, jeep or car?

Just do your best. Sometimes I look at that list, and I see a Toyota Yaris driver ahead of me, and I wanna beat him. I don't care that his car is in a different class. Also wanna be the highest mpg Acura on the forum, but there's plenty ways to go for that to happen.

brucepick 08-03-2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rae (Post 66654)
Garage>Top Ten List>Fuel Economy - View All Vehicles
Garage>Top Ten List>Percent Above EPA Rating - View All Vehicles
Rick

Thanks.
Makes me wonder, maybe there's a page I didn't find yet where you sign up to get a million dollar check sent to yourself. :D