Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Bad driving... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/bad-driving-5664.html)

slurp812 08-04-2007 02:21 PM

Bad driving...

SO friday, I got up late, and dragged my *** before I left the house. SO on my way to work, I thought 60mph is not going to cut it today, so I tromped it and was running 80-90 mph most of the way on the interstate. I felt good, and yet a little guilty as well. It was a 13 mile leg of my commute all highway, so maybe I made up 3-5 minutes. Oh well. On the way home, it was 60mph max speed again...

88HF 08-04-2007 02:58 PM

Oh well... I used to have a 94 ex-l similar to yours. Very nice car. Don't wreck it like I did, or rather like the school bus did. I should have made them give the school bus a ticket but I didn't know better. Now my insurance is high because the insurance decided it was my fault even though the report claimed none at fault $13,000 wreck according to the insurance company, and they only paid 6 for my car(totalled). The bus was barely scratched. Bastard turned in front of me while I was passing him in a passing zone and he had no turn signal on. That car begs to be driven faster though... not quite like an integra does, but still ultra nice, beautiful car. It goes 130-140 I think, I only know it goes past what it says.

baddog671 08-04-2007 03:47 PM

Lol, conservation is still second nature to me, I have to constently think "Dont push the pedle."

88, that sucks, but how fast do you think it topped out at? I had my 98Mustang to 120 before the governer started shutting everything down...

88HF 08-04-2007 04:00 PM

There is a VERY DEFINATE cylinder cut-out when you go too far over the red-line, but that never happened at top-speed... I believe it may have been limited at or near 135-140 or maybe it just didn't have any more power to proceed beyond that. Not sure... but if the speedo says 130 it was more than that. I believe it have a final number then maybe another 5mph worth of marks and it would still go beyond it. I know what you mean about second nature. I was late for a wedding today, took the truck, hauling *** and I still cut off the engine as soon as I saw a red light. My g/f b*tched cause the a/c was off... so then I just took it easy on the gas and left the truck on. It becomes habit.

Hockey4mnhs 08-04-2007 04:02 PM

my friend and i went 140 in his mustang with way more room to go. We were on our way back from lunch to school and could not be late! I have some 90 plus runs on some of the tanks in my gaslog so you should be fine. Post it and tell us what it droped your tank to.

baddog671 08-04-2007 04:17 PM

lol, 2 friends and myself were in the car driving on the PA turnpike (BAD BAD place for cops) and its all straight flat road. I glanced down and noticed I was doing 100mph, didnt even realize it. So I pushed it to the floor and it started bouncing off the governer at 120. Soon as it slowed back down it slammed right into it again, so it definitly wanted to scoot some more.

Not bad for a v6 I thought:P

88HF 08-04-2007 04:25 PM

94-95 accord has a 2.2 liter 4 cyl. The V6 model didn't have vtec. So we're talking about the 4 cyl cause thats what slurp has, as did I. I have no idea what the V6 was like, it didn't have the wilder fuel eating cam lobes of vtec. More torque I'm sure.

unstable bob 08-04-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slurp812 (Post 66848)
SO friday, I got up late, and dragged my *** before I left the house. SO on my way to work, I thought 60mph is not going to cut it today, so I tromped it and was running 80-90 mph most of the way on the interstate. I felt good, and yet a little guilty as well. It was a 13 mile leg of my commute all highway, so maybe I made up 3-5 minutes. Oh well. On the way home, it was 60mph max speed again...

I think "in the real world" that most of us have to push it from time to time. I know I'm having a hard time keeping from buying the supercharger set up that GM has for my car, or at least installing one of the N20 set ups I have sitting around...:D

baddog671 08-04-2007 08:27 PM

Lol, I know how you feel Bob. I've been keeping an eye on a new differential for my other Mustang but I dunno if I wanna drop 2k on it. Mighty tempting...Hmm, maybe if I get 100mpg it'll compensate the 2k and I'll walk away even:p

cfg83 08-04-2007 08:52 PM

88HF -

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88HF (Post 66861)
There is a VERY DEFINATE cylinder cut-out when you go too far over the red-line, but that never happened at top-speed... I believe it may have been limited at or near 135-140 or maybe it just didn't have any more power to proceed beyond that. Not sure... but if the speedo says 130 it was more than that. I believe it have a final number then maybe another 5mph worth of marks and it would still go beyond it. I know what you mean about second nature. I was late for a wedding today, took the truck, hauling *** and I still cut off the engine as soon as I saw a red light. My g/f b*tched cause the a/c was off... so then I just took it easy on the gas and left the truck on. It becomes habit.

Cylinder cut-out, as in ECU/PCM activated fuel injector cutoff perhaps?

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

CarloSW2

88HF 08-04-2007 11:07 PM

cylinder cut-out as in reducing engine speed by random injector cut-out. Its obviously operated by the ecm.

landspeed 08-05-2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 66862)
my friend and i went 140 in his mustang with way more room to go. We were on our way back from lunch to school and could not be late! I have some 90 plus runs on some of the tanks in my gaslog so you should be fine. Post it and tell us what it droped your tank to.

What would happen if the police caught you?

I only ask, because in the UK most motorways have overhead cameras every mile (or less!). On the A1, in some places you can see at least 3-4 cameras from any position on the motorway!. (edit - these aren't speed cameras, more 'big brother is watching you' camersa. Although if they see you speeding badly they will alert the traffic police who are all over the motorway in unmarked cars).

Also, our police drive about in unmarked cars, and will pull you if you do more than 80mph (the limit is 70mph).

Anything over 100mph is an almost guaranteed ban from driving for a year, 140 would be a jail sentence, and anything over 90mph is a guaranteed court appearance.

Also, if you are caught speeding (e.g. over 70mph, usually over 77mph), four times, in 2-3 years, you can also lose your license (you get 3 points per speeding offence, and 12 points = license revoked). 34mph in a 30 zone would also be a 3-points speeding offence, as would 45 in a 40 etc.

Is it less harsh in the States than in the UK?

minic6 08-05-2007 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landspeed (Post 66924)

I only ask, because in the UK most motorways have overhead cameras every mile (or less!). On the A1, in some places you can see at least 3-4 cameras from any position on the motorway!. (edit - these aren't speed cameras, more 'big brother is watching you' camersa. Although if they see you speeding badly they will alert the traffic police who are all over the motorway in unmarked cars).

Also, our police drive about in unmarked cars, and will pull you if you do more than 80mph (the limit is 70mph).

Anything over 100mph is an almost guaranteed ban from driving for a year, 140 would be a jail sentence, and anything over 90mph is a guaranteed court appearance.

Also, if you are caught speeding (e.g. over 70mph, usually over 77mph), four times, in 2-3 years, you can also lose your license (you get 3 points per speeding offence, and 12 points = license revoked). 34mph in a 30 zone would also be a 3-points speeding offence, as would 45 in a 40 etc.

No we have point systems here in the states too. Problem is with states being funded individualy each decides how their funds are used, is up to them.
In Michigan were I live you don't see much of a police presence and camera tickets used in other states are not allowed here. You may see little trailers with speed sensors mounted on them, telling you what your speed is in comparison to what you should be doing. These are nice for checking your speedo, but no tickets are given with them. When I travel we have to be careful because of the differing laws in different states. It is very lax here in the states about tickets, lots of laws, but not to much enforcement in my area.

One time in 99 we traveled to Austria for work. I did not do any driving there, but we were on the roads alot. What amazed me was how fast and aggressive people drove in Graz, were we were staying. At that time gas here was still just under a dollar almost 4 times more there. It suprisied me at their cost they didn't drive slower! Now we are paying the same and it's made no change here either!

I have had to drive very fast at times too. The Geo has seen 90+ on I-94 rushing to the airport and it's is amazing it did not hurt the average MPG worse then it did. What was also suprising is I was still being PASSED at that speed! More amazing is that it would go that fast! At least it said it did.

baddog671 08-05-2007 06:49 AM

Here in Maryland if you get caught doing over 100mph your going to be in deep shizz. There are no cameras on the highway but an occasional unmarked cop car patrolling around and sometimes a speedtrap. Its easy to spot the unmarked cars though.

We have cameras at intersections in city limits, but I think they are used more in recording accidents.

slurp812 08-05-2007 07:23 AM

thanks all! I dont need more tickets. Thats another reason I started hyper-miling...

Hockey4mnhs 08-05-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landspeed (Post 66924)

We would have been late for one and the car would have been impounded and drive would have been in jail. The speed limit is 45 were we did it but there wasent any cops around because it was luch time and we were looking for them. the cop cars are not very fast eather if you have a 100mph over them and they are trying to catch you its over for them. If you say it isnt possible it is because we were cruzing at 150 in my friends Sti on a 4 lane highway when a cop on the side of the road started to chase us. all we did was keep the wheel strait and hammer the pedel got up to around 160 then got off at the next exit. We were lucky because the next exit was were his house was so we got to his house real quick and shut the garage door. i was so shook up that i almost threw up and i wasent even driveing!

88HF 08-05-2007 11:34 AM

The time I tested top speed I was chased by two cops, but they stopped at the parish(county) line. I don't think they could know for sure it was even me because they were probably two miles back in the dark when they decide to chase and I had slowed to the limit. But they'd definitely bring you to jail.

ffvben 08-06-2007 03:14 PM

I had my 5.0L 87 camaro rolling, the spedo ended at 85, the needle went past the big empty spot at the bottom and kinda ran out of steam around the 20mph mark. I'm guessing 140mph?? I started to smell oil burning from the high rmps and the wind was pushing both side windows in from the pressure. had to try it at least once ;) I was hammerin hard , I'm glad i didn't miss and hit my thumb.