Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   62.6mpg trip! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/62-6mpg-trip-5799.html)

lovemysan 08-16-2007 07:03 AM

62.6mpg trip!

Ran to church last night without the family. It was hot 98+. I decided I'd run 50mph. 62.1 going 63.1 coming back. The trip there had 10 miles bumping around town for errands in 6:00pm traffic. I'm stoked the car is finally turning decent numbers in

62.5 mpg at 50mph. I have a slew of tweaks planned. My target goals are 70mph @50mpg and 50mph @70mpg. Its starting to look possible.

Next on my list is alternator switch, fan override, a/c compressor override, drl delete, some homebrew LED, AFR gauge, and an EFIE.

For aero I'll be doing front skirts, sealed wheel wells, sealed hood, mirror delete, antennae delete/move, Sealed ducting through the radiator.

unstable bob 08-16-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 68581)
Ran to church last night without the family. It was hot 98+. I decided I'd run 50mph. 62.1 going 63.1 coming back. The trip there had 10 miles bumping around town for errands in 6:00pm traffic. I'm stoked the car is finally turning decent numbers in

62.5 mpg at 50mph. I have a slew of tweaks planned. My target goals are 70mph @50mpg and 50mph @70mpg. Its starting to look possible.

Next on my list is alternator switch, fan override, a/c compressor override, drl delete, some homebrew LED, AFR gauge, and an EFIE.

For aero I'll be doing front skirts, sealed wheel wells, sealed hood, mirror delete, antennae delete/move, Sealed ducting through the radiator.

Man, you are hitting it outa the park mileage wise! I'm pushing to try and get up to 40 MPG. Isn't my Cavalier kinda a "cousin" car to your Saturn? What are your secrets? Maybe I need to find a church that is further away from my house than the one I'm going to...:D

cfg83 08-16-2007 10:12 AM

lovemysan -

Congrats! My digital AFR gauge has been great. It's a must for GasSavers.

CarloSW2

Matt Timion 08-16-2007 10:56 AM

Congrats!

lovemysan 08-16-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable bob (Post 68587)
Man, you are hitting it outa the park mileage wise! I'm pushing to try and get up to 40 MPG. Isn't my Cavalier kinda a "cousin" car to your Saturn? What are your secrets? Maybe I need to find a church that is further away from my house than the one I'm going to...:D

No a/c, feather pedaling@50mph, HAI, patience. Those are the main secrets to my mileage. Your car should knock down 40mpg at 55mph. I used to get 34mpg in my wifes 3 speed sunfire on highway trips.

unstable bob 08-16-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 68616)
No a/c, feather pedaling@50mph, HAI, patience. Those are the main secrets to my mileage. Your car should knock down 40mpg at 55mph. I used to get 34mpg in my wifes 3 speed sunfire on highway trips.

55 is the speed that I drive! Thanx for the tips. :thumbup:

cfg83 08-16-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 68623)
forgive me, i'm fairly new. what is an AFR gauge. my 95 olds is not scan gauge compatible if that means anything.

AFR stands for Air Fuel Ratio. The gauge monitors the output voltage of the oxygen (02) sensor in your exhaust manifold. All modern cars are eligible for AFR gauges. I purchased this one and built it :

Lean/Rich fuel monitor ...
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2285

You can see it in action here :

Batman we have lean burn! 49.6 mpg!
https://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=71

It's the thing with the "14.6" in red.

Alot of air/fuel ratio gauges are just little colored LEDs. I wanted the number because that's the ratio that we talk about all the time. You don't even need the gauge, though, you can use a multimeter to monitor the voltage coming out of the 02 sensor, typically between 0 and 1 volts. If you know the voltage map, you know the AFR.

CarloSW2

cheapybob 08-26-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 68581)

If you can get to 70 mph you are doing real well. Your current number is now a little better than what my car will do, I'd say, since I got to 56 mpg at 60 mph, and slowing down by 10 mph would only get me to 61 or 62 max. My car will never beat yours because you have a better 5th gear ratio.

I'll admit I haven't continued attempting improvements in the past year or so because I felt I'd hit the laws of decreasing returns where the cost of mods exceeded potential payback.

So, give us a list of the mods at this point and try to credit which mods got how much of the improvement?

GasSavers_Adam 09-07-2007 06:09 PM

Congratulations, keep up the great work!

lovemysan 09-08-2007 05:16 PM

I don't know where I got 62.6mpg, the tank was actually 62.07mpg. I even wrote it down in my log. DOH!