Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Electric and Solar powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   It's officially underway... 1986 Mazda RX7 EV project! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/its-officially-underway-1986-mazda-rx7-ev-project-5821.html)

GasSavers_BigMouse 11-30-2007 06:39 PM

I'll eventually install a ceramic heater for heating. I wasn't going to mess with any generators on this car. Haven't had much chance to work on the project in a while, lots of life changes, but the higher gas prices go the more motivated I get ;-)

GasSavers_BigMouse 12-05-2007 08:54 PM

Quick update...

The project is not dead! I've collected over 130 NiCd cells ranging from 36-42Ah each (1.2v). I hadn't had a chance to work on the project in the last couple months, mostly because of a change in jobs. Left the aviation field for something more profitable, but before leaving, I took full advantage of my flight benefits. Traveled during all my free time, using up all my remaining vacation time as well. Finally starting to get a bit settled in my new job now, so I felt some motivation to get back to work. This evening, I spent most of my time cleaning out some clutter in my garage so I actually COULD work on something. Once that was to a point where to garage was usable again, I grabbed my variac, two block diodes, a 3-prong plug, and some appliance wire. With these items, I started putting together what will be my battery charger. I bought a variac that claims to have a voltage output of 0-140vac with a 120v input, but I can't get any more than 120 out of it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, not tapping it right or something. I need to get over 120 if i'm going to charge a 120v battery pack.

anyway, after losses through the rectifier, I'm getting 106-107vdc. Definately need to bump that up unless I want to drop my pack votlage to 90 or so. Which I don't want to do.

Next on the list, make bus-bars for the cells from copper pipe, run the cables, order replacement parts for my motor control (fried what I've got, trying again), make cable ends... the list goes on.

Zerodrift 12-11-2007 02:43 PM

On a side note, Corksport now makes a nice lip for the S4 (86-88) Rx-7's. I have one and its definatly a nice product. I havent tested it, but I do notice better stability at freeway speeds.

GasSavers_BigMouse 01-20-2008 04:17 PM

worked on the batteries a bit today...

Got my variac wiring figured out and hooked up 78v worth of batteries with aluminum bus bars (probably a bad idea, but copper is so $$$).

Anyway, charging the pack now at 4-5a, water level is coming up on the batts, so that's good. Still trying to decide what to do for a controller, will probably keep messing with making my own until it proves too difficult, then just buy a curtis or something. Next thing to try is the open source one I found on the EV list a while back.

Anyway, just a quick update to keep the thread alive.

jBubb 02-27-2008 08:06 AM

THANK YOU for this thread.

I have decided to go the EV route myself and have A LOT of research and reading to do.

GasSavers_BigMouse 02-27-2008 05:27 PM

Finally gave up on the home-built motor control. I've got through too many IGBT's and electronic bits, and they're not cheap.

tom_eberhard 04-02-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMouse (Post 92275)
Finally gave up on the home-built motor control. I've got through too many IGBT's and electronic bits, and they're not cheap.

Any updates on the project? Hang in there!
Tom.

rgathright 04-29-2008 11:46 AM

Hey Tom, I am new to the boards but not new to EV's.

I really want to see those controller breadboard pics but the link is down. If I can see your design, I may be able to help you refine your problems.

Don't give up!