Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   My Fuel Economy Goal... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/my-fuel-economy-goal-5935.html)

trebuchet03 08-30-2007 09:17 AM

My Fuel Economy Goal...

So, instead of shooting for a particular mpg - I'm going to shoot for an overall fuel consumption goal/time frame.

So I have a quarter of a tank left. My goal is to not fill up until September 12. This means subsidizing car usage with bike usage - perhaps electric scooter too (if I can find a replacement inner tube)...

I'm using a cycle computer to measure my distance traveled, so I can see how many gallons I use v. how many miles traveled. For school commuting alone, I'll do about 30 miles.

-----

I'm not sure if this goal is even feasible, as I'm camping this weekend and I have a 25 mile (45min) drive to make with a kayak on my roof. Plus, I need to pick up said kayak today o.0

-----
Thoughts/Comments?

skewbe 08-30-2007 03:44 PM

Self rationing, that's awesome treb! :)

skewbe 08-30-2007 04:17 PM

Instead of just seeing how good mpg he can get, he is limiting himself to a certain amount of fuel for a given amount of time. Forcing himself to go to some lengths to make that goal.

MetroMPG 08-30-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 70258)
I'm not sure if this goal is even feasible, as I'm camping this weekend and I have a 25 mile (45min) drive to make with a kayak on my roof. Plus, I need to pick up said kayak today o.0

Does the kayak have to go on the roof? (Taking back seat passengers?)

Could leave it sticking WAaaAaay out with a red flag on the tip of it... (done that before).

trebuchet03 08-30-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 70338)
Does the kayak have to go on the roof? (Taking back seat passengers?)

Could leave it sticking WAaaAaay out with a red flag on the tip of it... (done that before).

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing today :p Although I did notice my cruising mpg dropped about 5mpg - but with some excessive P&G I got 36 on the way home (whereas I got 35 getting there - going in a general downhill direction).

Quote:

Instead of just seeing how good mpg he can get, he is limiting himself to a certain amount of fuel for a given amount of time. Forcing himself to go to some lengths to make that goal.
Exactly, which means I need to keep high mpg numbers and make a best effort to use other personal transportation....

Hockey4mnhs 08-31-2007 12:59 PM

i like this idea im getting my bike soon and i will make this part of my goals thanks for posting.

jcp123 08-31-2007 06:34 PM

I do some of that too, I really try to stretch out my tank for those extra 2 days.

I have to say that although I hardly miss 12mpg in my van, I do miss being able to go 6 weeks on a tank of gas. I'll say it pretty often, but I really do think it would be nice to have larger fuel tanks on small cars to help outlast pump price spikes, etc. 400 miles to a tank according to EPA city mileage would be my design benchmark...

01_fast_ride 08-31-2007 08:44 PM

Good work trebuchet03. When I was going to college I was a biking FOOL. It just made sense time-wise. Parking on campus was a B*tch.

For the month of August I made it on just one tank (with me driving. My brother drove the car but returned it with roughly the same amount of gas in the tank).

trebuchet03 09-06-2007 07:13 PM

Alas, I don't think I'll hit my goal :(

But it's for a good reason - emergency use... My buddy's chain broke on his ride back from work, so I picked him up and brought him home. I'm down to .8 gallons left (according to SG - I started with 1.2g) and tomorrow I'm taking my other half for a blood test. It's within biking distance (perhaps on the outer edge of range), but I wouldn't ask anyone to go without being able to eat....

I may just fill up - but stay with my goal to not consume that last .8 gallons until the 12th.

It's funny, all my bikes operate on rusty, reconditioned chain. My friend's bike's chain (chain and bike not even three weeks old) breaks. Perhaps the rusty chain has proven itself worthy :p

MetroMPG 09-06-2007 07:17 PM

Or maybe friend has tree trunk legs and uses the wrong gear :p.

I'm finding this self-rationing experiment really interesting.