Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Car Reviews (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   2008 smart fortwo test drive (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/2008-smart-fortwo-test-drive-5977.html)

Colby 09-22-2007 02:34 PM

I'm really sick of all the VX owner's elitism. All of you need to quit it already.

Can I go out and buy a new VX?

Be happy you have one. No need to come to this thread and gloat.

Sorry, just had to point this out.

2TonJellyBean 09-22-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 73438)
... isn't really able for highway driving makes it unappealing.

There are lots of them in Ontario and I see them all the time on the freeways. My only issue with the Smart is where do you put a kid or two?

1993CivicVX 09-22-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean (Post 73446)
There are lots of them in Ontario and I see them all the time on the freeways. My only issue with the Smart is where do you put a kid or two?

yeah, that too. I just read in an article about the '08 Smart saying it wasn't really driveable on the freeways. Too underpowered or something. Other than the slight inconvenience of being two doors, the VX has great utility. My bike goes in and out of the back with relative ease.

Mike T 09-22-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colby (Post 73433)
Mike, do the paddle shifters offer any added functionality or are they simply there for convienience?

They are one of the best features of the car, far better than using the floor shifter in manual mode! Get them if you can!

Mike T 09-22-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 73438)
That it gets less than 70mpg and isn't really able for highway driving makes it unappealing.

Well try driving one first. Whoever said that it's not suitable for highway driving is dead wrong. It's actually more at home on the highway than it is in the city. I've driven mine on Interstate highways at 85 MPH and it's just fine, thank you very much. I know three people who've driven theirs clean across Canada and back, and enjoyed every minute thoroughly.

The fuel economy is going to be better than nearly any other new car, even with the 71 HP gas engine without stop/start (mhd) system, and in the hands of FE enthusiasts I have no doubt that it will perform very, very well. If someone like Basjoos gets hold of one, look out.

1993CivicVX 09-23-2007 07:14 AM

maybe I'll find the article that said they are unsuitable for highway and you can sound off to the writer.

Here is a cool video showing the smart car in a crash. Pretty impressive.

here's the article

Mike T 09-23-2007 10:03 AM

I just got a copy of a road test from Germany that indicated - on an economy-minded test mind you - that the gas engine will do 68 US MPG. The overall average during the road test (including normal driving and performance testing) was 47 US MPG. So it seems that 70 MPG will not be out of the question.

I am not going to be wasting time emailing a motoring writer about the fact that he's wrong. I leave it to readers of this thread to decide. Who would you believe: someone whe test drove the car for a day or two, or someone who has driven his for three years? LOL

Mike T 09-23-2007 10:07 AM

Crash testing: E 320 vs. fortwo

Besides the spectacular but rather meaningless test in your link, there were some serious tests done: https://www.thesmart.ca/index.cfm?id=...nguage=english.

The new one is safer too.

BumblingB 10-10-2007 06:07 PM

Going to the "special" reservation holder only invite tomorrow. EXCITED! Only problem is it'll come in sometime around 2009 where I stand on the reservation list and the rate they are confirming & making orders. :(

I got the wife talked into going for a Passion versus Pure. Also shes letting me option it out nicely. Big question, is the power steering electric or manual?

Mike T 10-11-2007 06:53 AM

It's electric....very light at parking speeds but firm and with strong centering at highway speeds.

I think they'll probably order up a few more to get rid of the order backlog, if they can.

Enjoy the drive!