Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   New Fuelly Design (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/new-fuelly-design-604.html)

pb 05-21-2011 12:22 PM

New Fuelly Design

The new design is live!

As you may have seen in the last couple weeks we've been testing a new look for the site and that new look is finally here. We heard your feedback about the new look, and incorporated many of your suggestions. Thanks again for the help with testing and your thoughts.

Now it's time to move that discussion here. If you spot problems with the new site, please post about it here. We know there are bugs still lurking in the corners, so please keep that in mind as you use the new site. We'll get things fixed up as fast as we can.

Some new things to look for that aren't related to the look/layout: custom stats by time period, new fuel log book with sorting/searching, and cost analysis by time period. We're excited about the changes, and we hope the changes help give you more insight into your fuel economy.

mathowie 05-21-2011 12:23 PM

I'd also add if there's a feature you were wanting that isn't there or something you wished was changed, it'd work best if you held off for a couple weeks while we work through new site migration bugs first. (and there are a ton of new features on the way)

ToyoTacoma 05-21-2011 12:42 PM

Log Book will only show 1 - 6 out of 6 fuel ups, when in reality, I have 7 fuel ups. I have to update to show 50 fuel ups just to get it to show 7 fuel ups. Log book fuel ups do not match total fuel ups without update.

Thanks,

Johnny

pb 05-21-2011 12:51 PM

ToyoTacoma, if I visit your car page I see 7 fuel-ups in the log book. Do you see 7 if you reload the page?

mikewithaprius 05-21-2011 01:26 PM

Hey pb, I have a similar problem. Partial fill-ups are not being counted in terms of number of fuel-ups, but also in some cases not at all toward mileage.

Take a look at my page. It says now 13 fill-ups in the gas pump graphic, though there should be 18.

Now look at my March 2011 bar. It says my average for the entire month was 57.8 mpg. That number is correct if you only count the first two complete fill-ups of the month. Since I had a partial fill-up as my third fill-up, that and the next are not counted. If you add up all the miles and divide my gallons you get 59.0 mpg, not 57.8 like the site says.

The lifetime mileage is correct.

Thanks for all your work on the site!

Mike

ranger10 05-21-2011 01:39 PM

For my customizable mini stats, [my total spent for all time] does not match up with [cost analysis total spent] above.

$1,514.70 Total Spent != $1,559.27 Total Spent

The reason is that the customizable mini stat failed to include my first fill up of 44.57

rockychocbill 05-21-2011 01:44 PM

Hey guys. First off I'd like to say thanks for putting this site together and keeping it updated. I really like being able to track my fuel-ups this way. It "almost" makes filling up something to look forward to ;-)

As for the new look, I'd say I like it apart from maybe the teal coloring for the logo and the text. The Google ad is new too I think. Hey, you guys are entitled to make some money for your efforts. I'm glad you allow for the sidebar to collapse though ;-)

Keep up the great work!

errorik 05-21-2011 01:47 PM

@ranger10 - Fixed.

@mikewithaprius - Looking at your report now.

udtrev 05-21-2011 04:40 PM

Looks good guys, but

mini stats cannot count, Bella has 25 fill ups, the log book agrees with that, but mini stats says 24 :-(

shacrawhi34 05-21-2011 06:19 PM

i think the old design looked a 100% better. this design is just too....white. i still love the site, i just dont care for the new look all that much.

gabeincal 05-21-2011 06:39 PM

Absolute crap... Sorry but it looks chaotic and the old look was MUCH MUCH better....

way2hand 05-21-2011 07:37 PM

Can we sort out the location. So that we can compare a same model car in the same city/area. That will be cool.

ARDailey 05-21-2011 07:42 PM

It's early and the caffiene may not be working yet...

I can't seem to delete a vehicle.

and

The "Define your car model better for the epa comparison" 404s.

(Hope that helps. It's early on the east coast)

Otherwise The site rocks.

Thanks

108Acres 05-21-2011 08:22 PM

Great website overall and I like the mini stats but... after a fill up was just added I didnt see it on the activity bar, the new fill up did not show up under the recent fill up page, the notes section of the fill up page doesnt look great when you expand it (only a couple of words per line does not make sense).

kevm14 05-21-2011 09:15 PM

Have to give the notes column more width. It was ideal before. Please give this serious consideration.

GuyVXT 05-21-2011 09:58 PM

any options to turn the city percentage off? pointless in my circumstances.

errorik 05-21-2011 11:10 PM

@udtrev - Total Fuel-ups mini stat corrected.

@ARDailey - Hmmm... removing a vehicle works fine for me (retiring too) - can you give me details on what is happening for you. Also, EPA items should be working for you now.

@wilburdude - Recent activity has a short caching period that would make it not update right away. Also, I believe it might also filter out your own activity... it says "other Fuelly users".

@wilburdude / @kevm14 - As of current, for the mini log book to support paging and sorting the plug we are using can not have the notes spreading to other columns. We are considering other options. Shortly the main fuel log page (View All Fuel-Ups) will have extra functionality for searching, etc.

Thanks all!

pb 05-21-2011 11:38 PM

GuyVXT, no, there's no option to turn off city percentage. 50/50 is the baseline, same as no data. So when people see that they can just assume the stat isn't relevant for your vehicle.

Jnitrofish 05-22-2011 12:29 AM

Wouldn't it be better to leave assumptions out of the equation and have it default to N/A unless we otherwise set it to something?

It was immediately something that bugged me. If I do actually drive 50/50 on my commute, people would just assume that I am not changing the default and by my fuel economy would think I am doing all highway because it rocks, when in fact I am doing something more impossible and awesome.

I am sure though that the way its built in that it would be a PITA to change though, and personally isn't a feature I intend to utilize on a regular basis (with 500-600 mile tanks I don't feel like keeping track of how many red lights I couldn't time).

The rest of the site is awesome, though I think in the navigation column on the left that "Your Garage" and "Information" could stand out/apart a little bit more. Also, the log book could use a faint line between each row.

Thanks guys!

JP2085 05-22-2011 02:47 AM

Why can't you have the notes be shown instead of having to mouse over them? Please change that.

errorik 05-22-2011 03:08 AM

@Jnitrofish - A solution for no data vs 50/50 is in works.

@JP2085 - Right below the mini log book there is a link to expand the notes as your default.

kevm14 05-22-2011 04:13 AM

The columns for the other categories should be narrower, allowing for a larger notes column. Or just make the whole block wider to accommodate a larger notes column. 1 to 2 words per line is the definition of unreadable.

zagato27 05-22-2011 04:55 AM

Tried to send in my stats using text msg and it didn't go work. That was a great feature, is it not working on the new site? Additionally, I haven't gone through the site yet but liked the old "look". Maybe it's just me and getting used to something new???? I know that the site is "Fuelly" but it would be great to have an add on for oil changes and tire rotations. Just date and mileage so we can keep track right here with the fuel. Yeah, I run a spreadsheet with ALL my auto expenses but it would be nice to have that info here. Cheers

JP2085 05-22-2011 04:58 AM

@errorik - Thanks, that's great!

pb 05-22-2011 05:03 AM

zagato27, our SMS provider Twilio has ongoing problems keeping our service running—it's unrelated to our redesign. We're working with them to try to keep the service up, but you might look into Fuelly Mobile while we're having this problem.

BigDogK59 05-22-2011 05:56 AM

Would be nice to get a little more accurate with the engine choices. 3 of the vehicles I have entered 2 sizes of I4's and V6 engines available. That would help people see the differences in mileages.

Volta 05-22-2011 06:04 AM

New layout forces horizontal scrolling in a 1024px wide browser. That's absurd.

pb 05-22-2011 06:23 AM

I was wrong on the SMS outage. Twilio was running just fine, we had some files moved to the wrong place in the move. SMS should be back on the air. If you sent a fuel-up via SMS today, please go into your SMS history and resend. Sorry about the hassle.

errorik 05-22-2011 08:33 AM

@kevm14 - If you have notes expanded as your setting, there is now alternate CSS loaded which will give you more room for notes.

iznljca 05-22-2011 09:18 AM

All graphics feel way too big. I would much prefer more info and less artwork per square unit.

DTMAce 05-22-2011 10:30 AM

Site looks good. Not seeing too many problems, but will point out a couple of things I did notice...

The two tone line position of the background color, seems to be a bit off when the sidebar is hidden. It doesn't line up with aspects of the site, kinda creates an off look to it. Does not affect the function, just a visual thing.

Like the colors. Like the ability to show or hide the side bar, the notes field, etc. Great points. I use this a lot with a netbook, works great.

Only suggestion I can add to, is the city/highway thing. For me, rather than an N/A, I would like to preset it for each vehicle, for my known normal amount as a default, so I can just adjust it for fill ups that actually vary from the norm, rather than have to adjust each and every one. Otherwise I most likely will not be using it.

That's my only thought there. :D

Everything else appears to be good. Keep it up!

jsinton 05-22-2011 11:25 AM

Looks to me like you didn't beta test. It looks really bad on my Google Chrome. Really annoying to look at.

xaarman 05-22-2011 11:26 AM

I liked having all the stats up front. Now it looks all girly and fluffy. Is there a way to go back to Classic mode?

errorik 05-22-2011 12:19 PM

@DMTAce - As you start to use the new system you should see that the City Driving % will default to the same percentage as your last fuel-up on a per car basis. So if each of your cars has it's own average it should be easy leave as is or make slight adjustments as you go along.

@jsinton - I've used Google Chrome quite a bit on the new site. Is there something in particular that seems off? Also, what OS/screen resolution are you on?

@xaarman - what stats are you missing now? Through the customized mini stats you should be able to have even more stats than before, with the exact settings you want.

iznljca 05-22-2011 12:29 PM

My laptop screen resolution is 1366x768. The vehicle screen shows me not more than the following: picture of my car, three mpg values, the total number of miles tracked and the average price per gallon. I need to scroll down to see the rest. It would be lovely to be able to see all main stats in one screen at say 1024 px screen width.

Minor remark: because the main stats are not customizable and one cannot remove them, why are they offered again in the min stats lists?

KUweatherman 05-22-2011 06:34 PM

Glad you guys listened to everyone complaining about how the color choice sucked... I agree with others that main stats are WAY oversized as well. While the new design does have one or two positives, the old design was far, far better.

sbw 05-22-2011 09:44 PM

New design requires a VERY wide window to avoid the horizontal scroll bar. And when the window isn't wide enough, the central column bleeds into the darker background of the right sidebar. It just looks broken.

sbw 05-22-2011 09:44 PM

Having trouble finding the permalink to individual fuel-ups.

errorik 05-22-2011 10:49 PM

@iznljca - While it is possible to recreate the main stats down in the mini stats, the mini stats can have the time period fine tuned. So you might re-use a metric (Avg MPG) but have the time period at Last 3 Months. I actually have Avg MPG repeated twice next to each other comparing the last 3 months to the last 12 months.

snakeye 05-23-2011 12:33 AM

Very nice. Fuelly is simple, very well designed and easy to use. More websites should be like this.

One think I personally don't like however is the city driving % as it's kind of hard thinking back to the last 1,200km to try to figure it out. It would be nice to be able to disable this feature.