Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New Civic VX membre from Quebec, Canada (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-civic-vx-membre-from-quebec-canada-6065.html)

AlainB7 09-13-2007 04:32 PM

New Civic VX membre from Quebec, Canada

I I'm a new member with my fuel saver Civic VX 1992

I have 3 question for you?

I presently do about 45mpg.

How can I increse to 60?

My civic VX has a major hesitation when I hit the gas.
Some times it actually bogs down so bad it slows down.
It only does this sometimes under 2500rpm. When the engine is cold, no problem.

Can I replace my fuel tank(10 gal) for a regular civic(13.5gal)?

SVOboy 09-13-2007 04:43 PM

Poke around on the site and you'll be up to 60 in no time. First thing I'd suggest is to make sure the vx is in tip top shape, that's the main thing that holds them back as they get older.

Sounds like you might need a new o2 (like everyone!).

You can prolly replace your tank but I feel like it'd be a pain in the *** for what it's worth.

AlainB7 09-13-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 72199)
Poke around on the site and you'll be up to 60 in no time. First thing I'd suggest is to make sure the vx is in tip top shape, that's the main thing that holds them back as they get older.

Sounds like you might need a new o2 (like everyone!).

You can prolly replace your tank but I feel like it'd be a pain in the *** for what it's worth.

But I dont have any Check engine light.

For the rest, the car is in great shape.
Dont burn oil, new cap, rotor, wire & plug, New K&N OEM size air filter and running on Mobil-1 5w30 oil.

How can I be shure the O2 is going bad, It cost a leg! :eek:

SVOboy 09-13-2007 04:55 PM

If you poke around TomO's posts he talks about it a bunch. Good VX guy.

Anyway, it seems a common problem on the VX for the o2 to just get lazy and not do it's best, but not quite completely stop working.

GasSavers_TomO 09-13-2007 05:33 PM

Look at it from the O2 sensor's point of view...It has to work in a 600°+ harsh, toxic environment all the time getting covered in combustion by-product and soot. Then when we're done abusing it we let it sit in the dark and freeze (compared to the 600°+ environment. Wouldn't you get lazy after several years too?

But I digress, lol. Anyways, check the Ebay for the L1H1 sensor and try for one that is about $180.

And thanks for the recognition, SVOboy, I try my best to provide good info for everyone to enjoy.

Alain - Welcome to the site, and check out the VX info and links in my signature, it will provide hours of reading and info.

MetroMPG 09-13-2007 05:36 PM

Bienvenue a GasSavers!

You've certainly come to the right place for information about how to get the most from your VX.

GasSavers_TomO 09-13-2007 06:02 PM

I think this makes for 14 or so VXs on this board...WOOT!

Danronian 09-13-2007 08:35 PM

Looks like you've got a great little VX there!

If the 02 sensor is original with those miles on it, I agree that it is probably the culprit. Did you use the specific plugs the car calls for with the specified gap? If not, I would switch to them. From my experience Honda's tend to run best on NGKs.

Car looks very good!

oneinchsidehop 09-14-2007 02:07 AM

BonJour! I'm just south of you across the border in Orleans VT, and the others are right, the front of your VX looks great!

Mike

2TonJellyBean 09-14-2007 04:56 AM

Salut Alain

AlainB7 09-14-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danronian (Post 72255)
Did you use the specific plugs the car calls for with the specified gap? If not, I would switch to them. From my experience Honda's tend to run best on NGKs.

Yes. I only go to Honda dealer.

Even if I go to the dealer, I have to insist that I have a VX and the guy give me regular civic plug.
I toll him, Its a VX the plug are differenf from regular Civic. He check in is computer and tell me You're right, it not the same! :rolleyes:

I have OEM plug, rotor, cap, wire, fuel filter.
The only non OEM it for the air filter. I buy a OEM replacement K&N

So il look like I will order a new Wideband sensor. What is the price at Honda dealer in US?

1993CivicVX 09-14-2007 02:58 PM

Welcome! It's always happy to see a fellow VX. :D My VX hesitates as well when I hit the gas, but not as badly as yours. I still haven't ordered my o2 sensor, but given the number of miles and the general neglect my car has had over its lifetime before it came to me, I shouldn't even hesitate to get one, right!? (I highly doubt it's ever been replaced)

I never gapped my spark plugs. They looked about a millimeter. Do they not come properly gapped out of the box? I'm using the NGK ones advertised on the car as the preferred spark plug.

About your lowish mileage Alain. What kind of driving do you do? If you could give a detailed account of the sort of terrain and length of trips and speeds and traffic you drive in, that all plays a significant part. At what RPM do you shift from 3rd gear to 4th for example? In third gear when I reach about 1600RPMs I shift. Sometimes sooner. About 1400RPM from 4th to 5th.

1st gear - 1800 RPM (or 11mph)
2nd gear - 1800 RPM (or 20mph)
3rd gear - 1450 RPM (or 25 mph)
4th gear - 1350 RPM (or 31-32mph)

That seem about right TomO? Any other VXers wanna weigh in on this?

I think I'm getting in the upper 50s Alain, (with no mods to the car and non LRR tires) although I'm still not certain about my mileage because I haven't done enough tanks yet.

cfg83 09-16-2007 01:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
AlainB7 -

Welcome to GS! Like TomO said, you may need to retire your old 02 sensor. Here is what you need to look for to know if your 02 sensor is too tired :

Attachment 923

CarloSW2

suprapsu 09-17-2007 04:29 AM

You might want to replace the distributor cap, rotor and spark plugs.

AlainB7 09-18-2007 09:47 AM

Cap/rotor wire as been change last year and plug rechange this summer.

For the O2 sensor, is there the NTK NO. 24300 are the same that the dealer sold?
Cause here in Canada, the sell it 249.88$cad And I can have the NTK no 24300 for half of the dealer price.

AlainB7 09-19-2007 08:36 AM

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN:IT&ih=006

79.95$ :eek:
NEW NTK OEM OXYGEN SENSOR 5 WIRE 1992-2000 HONDA CIVIC

I just buy one. What is the catch :confused:

GasSavers_TomO 09-19-2007 08:58 AM

It seems that his feedback is mostly good (99.2%) but I did notice one feedback stated that the O2 sensor failed in 3 weeks. I couldn't see what kind of O2 that person bought... Your Mileage May Vary I guess?

SVOboy 09-19-2007 08:59 AM

A lot of the models look wrong but the picture looks like what you need.

AlainB7 10-04-2007 02:10 AM

Just received and install the new O2 sensor! It is exactly the same as my OEM of 260 000km!

The difference is incredible! No more hesitation, smooth idle have to press less on pedal to cruise at same speed than before, can even run at 800rpm in 5th speed and no vibration(before the dash want to fal down cause to execive vibration) no bug down when hit the pedal to accelerate!

Fell like I will do over the 60 mpg! :D

McPatrick 10-04-2007 05:09 AM

Hey Alain, I saw some pics of your VX and was wondering if the cool striping and 'VX' on the sides was original or if you added this to the car. I had never seen it before.

AlainB7 10-05-2007 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPatrick (Post 75108)
Hey Alain, I saw some pics of your VX and was wondering if the cool striping and 'VX' on the sides was original or if you added this to the car. I had never seen it before.

When I buy the car 2 year ago, it was already on the car. Maybe it was installed at the dealer, cause the VX sign on quater panner are the exat replica of the one on hatch but bigger.

1993CivicVX 10-05-2007 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlainB7 (Post 75104)
Just received and install the new O2 sensor! It is exactly the same as my OEM of 260 000km!

The difference is incredible! No more hesitation, smooth idle have to press less on pedal to cruise at same speed than before, can even run at 800rpm in 5th speed and no vibration(before the dash want to fal down cause to execive vibration) no bug down when hit the pedal to accelerate!

Fell like I will do over the 60 mpg! :D

Wow, I just received my o2 sensor a couple days ago, but because the car passed emissions, I figured my o2 sensor was fine, but maybe I will replace it if you have such good result!! Did you install it yourself or someone do it fer ya? If so, how much did it cost to have it installed?

GasSavers_James 10-05-2007 08:42 AM

I put mine in myself, it wasnt too bad. I had to cut the old wires to get a large ratchet wrench over the top and then used a big cheater pipe to break it loose. be careful not to strip it. It only took 10 minutes once i found the right tools. Be sure to put anti seize lubricant on the threads so that taking it off next time is easier...but dont get any anti seize on the sensor itself!
I bet it would cost at least 60$ to have someone do it.
-james

GasSavers_James 10-05-2007 08:43 AM

Thats about where I shift with my VX. Sometimes I shift earlier if going downhill, sometimes I hold second longer to get some real acceleration, when needed. But I sure do like being able to do 20mph in 3rd and 30 in 5th!

AlainB7 10-05-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 75308)
Wow, I just received my o2 sensor a couple days ago, but because the car passed emissions, I figured my o2 sensor was fine, but maybe I will replace it if you have such good result!! Did you install it yourself or someone do it fer ya? If so, how much did it cost to have it installed?

Installed myself. It wash pain in the *** to remove the old one cause it was the original. But took less than 5 minutes to reinstall the new one. It is very basic to install, just need a 3/4" or 19mm open key wrench.

The best is to used a closed key wrench and remove the connector from the plug or cut the wire of the old sensor to be shure to not strip the sensor when you remove it.

You can used the open key to reinstall the new one.

If you have A/C, you will need short combination wrench.

AlainB7 10-05-2007 08:53 AM

To increse my MPG, I shift at 1900 to shift in 2 and 3 and at 1600 to shift 4 and 5.

And I press on pedal like if I have an egg between my foot and the pedal.

Anticipate red light and let the car in neutral, stop the engine if the car will immobilisez more that 1 minute. Always run at 55mph on highway When going downhill, put on neutral.

1993CivicVX 10-05-2007 12:40 PM

and with that type of driving you only get 45mpg!? hmmmmmmm

Also, prevent braking as much as possible is key. Hope your FE goes up with the new o2.

AlainB7 10-05-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 75362)
and with that type of driving you only get 45mpg!? hmmmmmmm

Also, prevent braking as much as possible is key. Hope your FE goes up with the new o2.

Yes, but as I said, it was the original O2 sensor. Jus after changing it, the difference was incredible. I will post my new MPG

Nex week, I will go to DSM Shootout at Norwalk Ohio, it is a 12 hours trip of 1300 miles for the VX.
I like to go there with my Galant VR4, but at 16 MPG, is not a good idea! :D
If I can get 60 mpg from my VX for this trip, I will be sattisfied! :D

panamacolin 10-05-2007 08:43 PM

I just ordered one for myself...for that price cant beat it!

1993CivicVX 10-06-2007 04:19 AM

Hah, what do you need one for!? But, yeah, good to have one when six years down the road you finally need to replace yours.

panamacolin 10-06-2007 06:05 AM

Im going to swap mine out I have not been getting the mileage that you have...
Do you run the a/c?

1993CivicVX 10-06-2007 06:16 AM

No A/C. I am really surprised that my VX has been getting the better FE of the VXes on here. I did do an exhaust clean at Jiffy Lube after I got the car. And a whole lot of white smoke poured out of my exhaust for a good five minutes. But really, not to toot my own horn, I think it's how I drive. But I dunno, I don't drive that crazy. I coast when I can and I employ the gradual grades for pulse and glide. What's your most common speed you drive at? Mine is like 45. But sometimes I get into FE crazy mode and will drive 35-40.

panamacolin 10-06-2007 11:59 AM

If the o2 sensor is bad will it throw a code/check engine light? Or is it one of those things you just change when you think its time?

Thanks in advance!

AlainB7 10-06-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamacolin (Post 75472)
If the o2 sensor is bad will it throw a code/check engine light? Or is it one of those things you just change when you think its time?

Thanks in advance!

Not nececerely.

I did'nt have any CEL or code and just changing the O2 sensor and the car is REALY different thant before.

Will try to get lower 4l/100km! :D Better, maybe high 3l/100km! :cool:

panamacolin 10-06-2007 12:38 PM

What is different about your car since changing it?

AlainB7 10-06-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamacolin (Post 75475)
What is different about your car since changing it?

post #19 ;)

panamacolin 10-06-2007 01:12 PM

sweet I Look forward to installing mine!

wombosi 10-06-2007 02:59 PM

Yea, me too. Wombat soup.

panamacolin 10-06-2007 03:08 PM

Haha..wombat soup...what exactly is a wombosi?

1993CivicVX 10-08-2007 09:58 AM

That was me signed in on wombosi's computer. not sure what a wombosi is. Wombosi and I make up words or phrases when we feel that the existing lexicon is lacking. Wombat soup... as in... good stuff. Maybe Wombosi will reply to this thread and be able to tell you what a wombosi is.