Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Throttle Limiter? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/throttle-limiter-6075.html)

ezeedee 09-14-2007 07:40 AM

Throttle Limiter?

well on my throttle body, there is a tab that sticks out and stops the throttle body at what seems to be, right before full throttle. i had always been thinking of ways to grind it down to let the throttle travel further, but yesterday, i thought of drilling a hole, tapping some threads, and threading a bolt in from the back to act like a throttle limiter. only let me get to 80% or 70% throttle or whatever. then when i go to the desert or offroading or something i can back it off and get the power back.

anyone ever tried anything like this? id take pics when i do it, but i dont have a camera.

GasSavers_TomO 09-14-2007 08:31 AM

Sounds like it'd work great for what you want it to.

I wouldn't recommend grinding down the tab to allow the Throttle Plate to open further though. It would more than likely trip a Check engine light as teh throttle position sensor would go beyond its limit then.

mrmad 09-14-2007 08:46 AM

I would think this could pose a safety issue as there are definetly times when you may need full throttle to avoid an accident. I would rather try to limit my right foot.

trebuchet03 09-14-2007 08:52 AM

My brain/muscle motor skill is my throttle limiter :p

VetteOwner 09-14-2007 10:46 PM

all good points i belive, that and any time you drill a hole in the tb you create a vaccum leak threat(pesky things that can be hard to detect and can make a good engien run crappy in a seconds)

ezeedee 09-15-2007 09:47 AM

well damn, i need some kind of throttle limiter. i dont have the self control to do it myself.

VetteOwner 09-15-2007 11:16 AM

lol well just try harder. or try putting your foot so it rubs on the center tunel while still pressign gas, aot easier to keep the pedal steady

ezeedee 09-15-2007 09:17 PM

ok, im gonna drive slow this tank, and after i fill up, im gonna put in my old mass air flow sensor, and see if my mileage goes up. if it doesnt, im gonna replace my o2 sensors, it smells like its running a bit rich, so ill see if its from the maf or the o2 sensor.

CoyoteX 09-15-2007 09:27 PM

go to the auto parts store and pick up a pack of throttle return springs and fit one of them on the gas pedal arm and hook it to something under the dash solid. Adjust slack in the spring so at half throttle or wherever it starts pulling the spring. This is the easiest way to give yourself a reminder not to go past that point. If you need full throttle though a bit of extra spring tension on the last half of the pedal travel is no big deal.

As far as the throttle body stop grinding it down can give you a bit more top end power, just use a voltmeter on the tps to make sure you don't grind it any farther than a tps reading of 4.6V, at 4.7V it will trip a check engine light. 4.63-4.65V on a lot of cars has the throttle blades at 90 degrees.

Steve Peters 10-06-2007 11:04 PM

Tape a squeaky toy to the accelerator pedal. If that doesn't discourage you, try a rotten egg.