Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   How often do you change your manual transmission fluid? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/how-often-do-you-change-your-manual-transmission-fluid-6292.html)

Peakster 10-04-2007 01:42 PM

How often do you change your manual transmission fluid?

I drove to Wal-Mart today seeking my usual $24.71 Tech 2000 oil change for the Geo, only to be informed it was going to be a 3 hour wait (which was weird because it was after 3pm and the auto service department closes at 5pm).

I ended up going to one of those 'drop in' oil change places and paid nearly $41 for the base 5W30 oil change. Everything under the hood was inspected fine, except for my manual transmission fluid which looked like a dark grey soup. The oil change person said it would be $49.99 to change it, but I declined simply because I didn't want to spend the money today.

Is there places that can do this manual transmission fluid change for cheap (Wal-Mart has always put N/A next to trnsmission fluid check)? How important is it for this fluid to be changed?

VetteOwner 10-04-2007 02:18 PM

it sgrey from fine metalic bits from the gears, alot of its probably have to do with when the car was first made and all the burrs on the gears and castings are now freely floatign around.(somewhat) the drainplug has a strong magnet on it to get the bigger chunks stuck so they dont go between gears and cause damage and such.

if its grey i would deff change it out. i wouldnt trust walmart doing anything to my car tho...

rh77 10-04-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 75163)
i wouldnt trust walmart doing anything to my car tho...

I don't trust them for anything, auto or otherwise...

As far as who to use, I don't trust the big-box chain stores anymore. It's tough to do, but try to seek-out an independent shop with a good name -- word on the street stuff. I'm still looking myself -- especially when it comes time for major repairs/swaps.

As far as the change frequency, ummm :confused:

RH77

2TonJellyBean 10-04-2007 04:56 PM

I'm starting to think this way... coolant, tranny and brake fluid every 3 years unless required sooner...

Danronian 10-04-2007 06:23 PM

For a Honda, which get syncro /bearing issues with high miles, I would do it around every 50-100k miles. Any sooner would be a waste I think. Probably the same case for the Metro. It is very easy to do yourself if you have some jackstands and an oil pan. Even if it's your first oil change ever, it is possible to do yourself.

Pyrorocketeer 10-04-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 75196)
"How often do you change your manual transmission fluid?"

Never.

but if yers looks bad then do it

.... apparently all that metal slurry floating around through the gears is good for a transmission? not just his, but anyone's manual transmission? Well... I guess if synros didn't wear, or you never ground a gear in your life, then possibly you might get away with never changing it.

seriously... come on here. most manufacturers recommend every 60-100k miles before changing.

change it to a good synthetic, and you'll never go back to the dino tranny fluids.

trebuchet03 10-04-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrorocketeer (Post 75227)

seriously... come on here. most manufacturers recommend every 60-100k miles before changing.

VW is silent about gear oil service life -- apparently they use some crazy synthetic stuff (as opposed to "regular" synthetic) in there that never has to be changed :rolleyes: I changed mine with OE fluid at 100K miles -- and noticed an improvement shifting (easier). My 2nd gear shift was also incredibly difficult to shift occasionally - changing the gear oil resolved that :)

VetteOwner 10-04-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 75230)
VW is silent about gear oil service life -- apparently they use some crazy synthetic stuff (as opposed to "regular" synthetic) in there that never has to be changed :rolleyes: I changed mine with OE fluid at 100K miles -- and noticed an improvement shifting (easier). My 2nd gear shift was also incredibly difficult to shift occasionally - changing the gear oil resolved that :)

yup, get rid of all the metal dust in the oil and its gonna shift easier. cuz the metal is takign up space in the oil so you gotta shift thru metal dust sludge. drain it all and refill with new and its good clean fun!!!:)

id change every 100K miles, more often if you tow/haul anyhting (obviously for a general maintince thing for all cars/trucks)

brake fluid shouldnt relaly need to be changed unless its getting super cloudy/leaking or has a lot of dirt in it or so...

lol change it...stuff breaks down over time anyways, metal dust and such isnt too good for the small fine bearings in the tranny. if you have a rwd car or truck check the rear end color and level. has a buncha gears and burrs floating around too.

SVOboy 10-04-2007 07:03 PM

VW also makes crappy cars on which parts break that never should, :p

omgwtfbyobbq 10-04-2007 07:13 PM

My VW trans has over 350k miles. :thumbup: