Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   The Veg*n Poll (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/the-veg-n-poll-6408.html)

SVOboy 10-16-2007 08:30 PM

The Veg*n Poll

What're you?

2TonJellyBean 10-16-2007 08:50 PM

Is there a category for less than omnivore. I don't eat anything smarter than cattle. That rules out canine, porcine, octupus...

SVOboy 10-16-2007 08:55 PM

Hmm, well, I know many people do divide it up like that and there are all sorts of terms for it, but I was really just wanting to get a rough idea for no particular reason.

Sorry for not being discriminating enough. Please note exceptions or notes. All notes will be noted!

trebuchet03 10-16-2007 09:01 PM

Omnivore.... Red meat a few times per month - the rest of my meats fowl or fish (and alike). I also try to find grass fed beef - which is incredibly difficult where I live now (versus Oakland, CA - it was well advertised).

Deep fried tofu in stir fry :p I used to be completely turned off to tofu - but really, don't knock it until you try it :p And given that soybeans are farmed almost as much as corn, it's pretty damn cheap :p Throw in noodles made from sweet potato flour... mmmm.

I'm also picky about where my food comes from and how it's grown...
Given the choice - here's my order of preference:
(Local Grown>Not Local Grown)>Organic
So if the choice is local grown non organic versus California grown organic -- I'll take the local grown.

-----
I highly recommend reading the Omnivore's Dilemma. It's a good read on how to choose the foods you eat rather than choosing what foods to eat.

SVOboy 10-16-2007 09:05 PM

I've heard a lot about it but I won't have time to read it for a few months. First I've got to read Tom Robbins' book on nutrition, which is also sposed to be good, and I actually was given a copy of...

I'm actually trying to get Tom Robbins to come speak here, so we'll see how that goes...

lunarhighway 10-16-2007 10:21 PM

we keep chickens in the backyard so we have our own egg supply, and they can live as long as they can... they also process and rescyle out bio degradable waste. there's also a small guarden where we grow some vegetables.

i turned vegy when i was 6 and my parents thought it was just a phase so they let me go ahead but i havent changed my mind since, and my mother and brother now don't eat meat enymore either ;)

we buy a lot of biological and organic products.
i tend to avoide leather whenever i can, and have a pair of vegetarian shoos... they look like doc martins, but have already outlasted a pair of my brothers doc's and still look new when sitting next to his new pair. so theyre worth checking out just for their build quality.

MnFocus 10-17-2007 01:53 PM

Veg*n diet right here.

bowtieguy 10-17-2007 02:11 PM

for you veg only people, my nutritionist says there is NO BETTER source of protein than animal meat. obviously organic chicken and fish are among the best choices.

SVOboy 10-17-2007 02:15 PM

For you meat-eating people, MY nutritionist says that there are many good sources of protein, many of which are healthier than meats.

omgwtfbyobbq 10-17-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 77026)
for you veg only people, my nutritionist says there is NO BETTER source of protein than animal meat. obviously organic chicken and fish are among the best choices.

True, but there are alternatives that are just as good w/o going to meat. And like SVO said, some are healthier in other ways. That being said, the cost of $1 road kill dogs from the whitey stores, and fruits/veggies from the supermercados cannot be beat for those on a budget. :thumbup: