Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   How hard is to install a scangauge II ? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/how-hard-is-to-install-a-scangauge-ii-6415.html)

RazBarlow 10-17-2007 01:42 PM

How hard is to install a scangauge II ?

How hard is it to install ? How long does it take ? Any modifications to the vehicle or does it just plug in ? I would be adding it to a 1996 Ford Taurus . Better yet, does anyone have a PDF file they could send me of the installation ?
Thanks,
Raz

trebuchet03 10-17-2007 01:45 PM

You plug it into the diagnostics port... Looking from the driver's side foot well, look up (under the dash area) and you'll see a trapezoidal connector... It plugs in there ;)

Plug the other side of the cable into the scan gauge and you're done ;)

Mentalic 10-17-2007 01:47 PM

Oh and the tough part, apply sticky velcro bits, press in place.

RazBarlow 10-17-2007 03:26 PM

Where is the best place to mount it so you can half way monitor it without taking your eyes off the road too much ? Also, how hard is it to transfer from one vehicle to the other ? Do you have to setup different parameters for each vehicle ?
Thanks,
Raz

GasSavers_Minger 10-17-2007 08:38 PM

I'm wondering this stuff as well, just ordered mine an hour ago :)

SVOboy 10-17-2007 08:42 PM

I mounted my superMID on top of the dash at the bottom left of the windshield, takes the least motion of my eyes to look at it.

garyhgaryh 10-17-2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 77018)
You plug it into the diagnostics port... Looking from the driver's side foot well, look up (under the dash area) and you'll see a trapezoidal connector... It plugs in there ;)

Plug the other side of the cable into the scan gauge and you're done ;)

Will the scanguage plug into a '93 Civic VX?
Gary

cfg83 10-17-2007 10:50 PM

garyhgaryh -

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyhgaryh (Post 77105)
Will the scanguage plug into a '93 Civic VX?
Gary

SG uses the OBDII protocol, 1996 and newer cars only. There is spotty support for pre-1996, but it depends on how much of the protocol that the manufacturer implemented. I think the SG would not be compatible with any 1993 car.

CarloSW2

garyhgaryh 10-17-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 77108)
garyhgaryh -

SG uses the OBDII protocol, 1996 and newer cars only. There is spotty support for pre-1996, but it depends on how much of the protocol that the manufacturer implemented. I think the SG would not be compatible with any 1993 car.

CarloSW2

Thanks carlos!

GasSavers_Minger 10-18-2007 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 77099)
I mounted my superMID on top of the dash at the bottom left of the windshield, takes the least motion of my eyes to look at it.

Didn't think of putting it there...will try that. Only thought about over the center of the dash (because my dad's MDX has it's trip computer by where my cd would be...) and also between my clutch, but that would probably work better :)

And out of curiosity, there isn't a way to get an analogish readout, is there? My aunt's TSX does it,a nd it would probably be easier to pay attention to if there was a bar moving up and down relative to your mpg...but some of your guys' mpg it probably just wouldn't go high enough in that case