Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Fuel filter change (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/fuel-filter-change-6422.html)

bowtieguy 10-18-2007 01:07 PM

Fuel filter change

changed the fuel filter on the olds today. this site has made me more aware of conservation, so i tried a "mod" on this endeavor.

usually, i just put rags and newspaper down to absorb the spillage. today, i had a measuring cup ready to catch it. both the bleeder valve(pressure valve) and filter/fuel line yielded close to 16 oz of what would normally be waste.

obviously the spilled gas was put back into the tank. this might be standard procedure for some of you, i just never thought to do it before. hopefully others will follow suit.

imagine 16 oz multiplied by millions of cars @ several services each over the life of each vehicle. okay, i admit i'm bored. but hey!, why not write about a way to conserve even if everyone won't do it.

bowtieguy 10-19-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 77191)
that's good

i nver change filters so never spill!

that's right, forgot the only driving you do is once a month to wally world to get geritol.

ffvben 10-20-2007 03:31 PM

all the excess fuel from filters goes to my mower

bowtieguy 10-20-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffvben (Post 77553)
all the excess fuel from filters goes to my mower

yea, thought about that 'cause the "recycled" gas was dirty. but, figured it would be filtered, plus wanted to maximize my FE(gas log).

Gearshredder 10-21-2007 06:01 PM

well is it true some of the newer cars don't have fuel filters?

bowtieguy 10-22-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearshredder (Post 77734)

can't say without hesitation 'cause i haven't bought a new car in quite some time. but, i kinda doubt it. gas is dirty and must be cleaned (filtered).

just for kicks gotta say this: my neighbor bought a new car 2 or 3 years ago. and when it wouldn't start one day, he open the hood to find no battery!someone stole it right?

called the cops, they showed up, NO battery. as it turned out, the cop decided to look in the trunk...there it was, and dead as a doornail.

true story.

SVOboy 10-22-2007 01:26 PM

Lots of people put their batteries in their trunks, ;)

thisisntjared 10-22-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 77860)
Lots of people put their batteries in their trunks, ;)

like bmws.

anyway wouldnt 16oz of gas only get you 3 miles in the tank?

bowtieguy 10-23-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 77865)
like bmws.

anyway wouldnt 16oz of gas only get you 3 miles in the tank?

yes ~3. but it's ALL about the little things adding up to a lot.

ffvben 10-23-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearshredder (Post 77734)

most Nissan cars don't have fuel filters, it's mainly the fuel sock on the pumpthat catches any big chunks. I've taken a few out 30k-80kmiles and the sock screen is a brown color vs a new white sock, but I don't notice any build up of dirt and most of the time the tank is clean at the bottom where dirt may build up. maybe they are getting rid of the cars fuel filter because most gas stations pump the fuel through a filter to get the big and small junk out. that would leave microscopic junk or any dirt that fell down your filler neck into the tank. I think the older days they just pumped it from the ground dumping rust/dirt right into the tank. also the tanks don't rust inside, lots of them are plastic tanks. mabey the gas station tanks are lined with plastic/or some kind of sealer???