Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New vx'er (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-vxer-6545.html)

rlprlp1 10-31-2007 03:22 PM

New vx'er

Hey everybody. ive been reading here for a couple of months. Took a job with the federal government back in early sept of this year. I was sceptical about taking it since its a 110 mile round trip, but figured i would just get a small car and deal with it short term. In my search for a decent FE car i found this site and immediately started looking for a vx, took only a couple days, since i wasnt going to be picky about the exterior except for rust. bought the one i have from a guy i think may have been on this site, but i saw the listing he had on another site. Anyway i paid a little over 2K for it, had 186K on it. The first tank i got 46 and it went downhill from there. I couldnt get it up past 41mpgs. After some reading here, and already having some repairs underway i decided to jump on the timing belt. Found that the timing belt was off a tooth. Since ive had the car these are the things ive done, mainly just for piece of mind, New axles, oil pump, tires of the correct size, water pump, rotors and brakes, timing belt,clutch and throwout bearing, and a windshield, since it wouldnt pass here in nj with the crack, front shocks and a couple of bushings in the lower control arms. All of the repairs i did myself, would have been way to expensive to have someone else do them. I have changed my driving habits since the new timing belt last week ( after reading a bunch of posts on the subject here at gassavers). My drive is stop and go, hilly,and some highway. This tank im finally happy with, 50mpg's. Im hoping to find a way to squeeze some more out. I have a new O2 sensor on the way, but i think im going to have to get more of this driving technique down. So thanks to everyone who puts this really useful info out there.

Sigifrith 10-31-2007 03:26 PM

Welcome aboard. Lots of us VX folks here.

GasSavers_TomO 10-31-2007 05:05 PM

Woohoo! Another VX, welcome aboard. Isn't it great being able to work on your car yourself and get such great mileage?

Danronian 10-31-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 79305)
Woohoo! Another VX, welcome aboard. Isn't it great being able to work on your car yourself and get such great mileage?

It is nice. :thumbup:

Welcome to the site. I'm from SE PA, pretty close to NJ.

Glad to hear you do work on your VX yourself!

I haven't gotten to 50 mpg yet (not sure why), but I'm going to try checking my alignment since I think that might be a factor in my not-so-great mileage.

dogncatboy 10-31-2007 05:41 PM

Welcome aboard! Good job on the repairs, I wish i had the patience to do it all myself as well. I found that the timing belt position has made a HUGE difference. I've burned less than a quarter tank and have gone over 210 miles. I'm on my way to my first tank over 50 mpg. Woo hoo!!!

You'll like it here, nice folks.

cfg83 11-03-2007 11:07 PM

rlprlp1 -

Welcome to GS! It's good to hear that you're taking advantage of all the VX knowledge on the site.

CarloSW2

McPatrick 11-04-2007 02:54 AM

Help, the VX's are taking over the site :) Anyways, welcome here!

GasSavers_TomO 11-04-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPatrick (Post 79957)
Help, the VX's are taking over the site :) Anyways, welcome here!

According to the garage search, there is roughly 10 VXs with a garage here. There might be about 14 total VX owners on this board. So...we are les than 10% of the vehicles in the garage, but that is still pretty impressive that we take up that much space on this board. :D