Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   underside air flow (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/underside-air-flow-6652.html)

Hateful 11-13-2007 03:28 PM

Wal-mart had fiberglass and aluminum screen so I picked the aluminum( took 2 7ft rolls).I expect the motor heat will last longer when parked.I used tie wraps to anchor it to anything I could find ( drilled a few holes for tie wraps also).

zpiloto 11-13-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateful (Post 81963)
Wal-mart had fiberglass and aluminum screen so I picked the aluminum( took 2 7ft rolls).I expect the motor heat will last longer when parked.I used tie wraps to anchor it to anything I could find ( drilled a few holes for tie wraps also).

What the price for that?:thumbup:

Hateful 11-13-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 81970)
What the price for that?:thumbup:

It was about $15 for both rolls. each roll 48"X84".

sonyhome 11-16-2007 10:57 AM

What kind of MPG gains are you getting so far with the underbody condom you've made?

Hateful 11-16-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonyhome (Post 82500)
What kind of MPG gains are you getting so far with the underbody condom you've made?

It's hard to say since I've added to my duck tape air dam also. I ran some errands with some highway miles and averaged 44mpg for the entire 40mile trip.Last tank averaged 38.4mpg I have noticed that the engine retains heat better between trips and warms up faster as well.

trebuchet03 11-16-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateful (Post 81963)

That's a pretty good idea :) What are you doing to make sure it doesn't flap around?

I really like this actually, while it won't give the benefit of a non permeable surface, it more than makes up with super easy installation :thumbup:

Hateful 11-16-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 82505)
That's a pretty good idea :) What are you doing to make sure it doesn't flap around?

I really like this actually, while it won't give the benefit of a non permeable surface, it more than makes up with super easy installation :thumbup:

I drilled holes in the ridge of metal along the sides and used tie wraps to tighten it and well as duck tape on the metal and the screen to keep the screen from ]breaking( holes through tape and screen. I've also bought some spray paint to make the screen less permeable( only one can so far, three more when it's not so windy) The flaps on the bottom edge of the air dam do fold back hitting the tire at highway speed but no harm done; I can always add more red duck tape when it wears down.https://www.gassavers.org/garage_imag...pcwmg707o4.jpg

brucepick 11-16-2007 01:34 PM

Slick. Pun intended.
I really like that the aluminum should hold up well and looks like a really easy install. The whole thing is a lot like the old aircraft cloth that gets painted with "dope".

Anyway, let us know how the paint on screen material holds up. If it cracks and leaves holes then maybe latex paint would be the way to go - but you'd have to brush it on; I don't think it comes in spray.

Hateful 11-16-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 82508)
Slick. Pun intended.
I really like that the aluminum should hold up well and looks like a really easy install. The whole thing is a lot like the old aircraft cloth that gets painted with "dope".

Anyway, let us know how the paint on screen material holds up. If it cracks and leaves holes then maybe latex paint would be the way to go - but you'd have to brush it on; I don't think it comes in spray.

the plane doping is what gave me the idea; I was watching an episode of History Detective on public TV about a civil war hot air balloon where cloth and doping were used.

Hateful 11-22-2007 11:18 AM

I just filled the tank again. This time I got 502.1 miles on 12.894gal..I drove 125miles today,up to 70mph at times but mostly around 63 to 67.It was very windy,but warmer today. The screen is keeping the water temp to 130degrees after sitting in 40degree weather for 2 hours.