Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   ICE loads (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/ice-loads-6695.html)

basjoos 11-10-2007 05:57 PM

ICE loads

When I got home from a recent trip, I tried adding various electrical loads to the engine while monitoring the pulse width displayed on the SuperMID. Below are the results.

Warm idle with nothing turned on........2.3 to 2.4
Parking lights on..............................2.4
parking and headlights on..................2.6 (high or low beam)
Brakes on.......................................2.4
Fan on lowest speed (level 1)............2.4
Fan on next higher speed (level 2)......2.4
Fan on level 3.................................2.4 to 2.5
Fan at max speed (level 4)................2.5
A/C and fan at level 2......................3.6
A/C and fan at level 4......................3.7
ICE cooling fan on...........................2.4
Radio on low...................................2.3

I also monitored the pulse width for the 1st minute of idle when starting a cold engine at 55F ambient temp.
Start idle.........4.2
After 30 sec.....2.9
After 1 min.......2.6

GasSavers_TomO 11-10-2007 06:57 PM

Thanks for posting your info, basjoos. It gives me an idea of what settings I can run on my climate control this winter and still keep things relatively low consumption. :thumbup:

1993CivicVX 11-10-2007 08:40 PM

sounds like cycle A/C on fan 4 is better than leaving it on on fan 1 or 2.

landspeed 11-11-2007 12:27 AM

To add to this... I'm sure modern ECUs don't do this, but... my ECU actually enriched the fuel mixture a little bit when electrical loads were present - even if you were, for example, going uphill at 50. This would be 0.1 e.g 15.0 down to 14.9, and I think it was unintentional as well. Just something to think about :)

P.S. the Pulse widths from cold are just like mine (2.3 when warmed up, 4.8 when starting for the first few seconds, quickly dropping to about 3.4, then slowly towards 2.3).

cfg83 11-11-2007 12:51 AM

1993CivicVX -

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 81462)
sounds like cycle A/C on fan 4 is better than leaving it on on fan 1 or 2.

Yeah, that supports that theory that the level of AC doesn't matter. The compressor is drawing the same load regardless of the setting.

But ... aren't some of today's AC units "variable load"?!??

CarloSW2

cfg83 11-11-2007 01:05 AM

basjoos -

This makes me feel even better about my Fan Radiator Switch. I use it to manually cool off the radiator coolant temp when I am stuck in traffic. You're results for the "ICE cooling fan on" are very reassuring :D .

CarloSW2

8307c4 11-11-2007 07:48 AM

At least for the heater, on all of my cars I can simply turn the knob to heat and leave the fan off, and heat comes out of the vents as I drive naturally.

It may not be the best when it's really cold outside, but it works.

basjoos 11-11-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 81487)
1993CivicVX -

Yeah, that supports that theory that the level of AC doesn't matter. The compressor is drawing the same load regardless of the setting.

But ... aren't some of today's AC units "variable load"?!??

CarloSW2

It didn't show up on my test because I didn't run it long enough , but there is a savings at the lower fan speeds if I let it run longer. After a few minutes at level 1 or 2, the compressor will cycle off for a period of time, then kick on again for a period of time, and repeat. At levels 3 and 4 the compressor is on full time on the usual summer day where I might be tempted to use the A/C. There is a temp sensor of the evaporator coil that cuts off the compressor when the cold reaches a certain minimum temp.

ezeedee 11-11-2007 06:53 PM

wow, i never thought about my stereo making me get worse mpg. i have 2 12's with an 800w amp. if i could go without the bass for any period of time, id disconnect it to see how my mileage improves.

not to mention the box weighs probably 80 lbs.

cwa 11-11-2007 08:32 PM

Thank you Basjoos. It is very useful. I just got a Supermid and then I tried to do that one my Car (1.3L, Auto) I got very similar readings.

I also tried the same thing when the Car is D (Still with Break), it comes with additional 1.1 pulse width. (Meaning Stop reading is 3.5, with Ac $.8-5.1) etc.

REgards

CWA

Quote:

Originally Posted by basjoos (Post 81439)
When I got home from a recent trip, I tried adding various electrical loads to the engine while monitoring the pulse width displayed on the SuperMID. Below are the results.

Warm idle with nothing turned on........2.3 to 2.4
Parking lights on..............................2.4
parking and headlights on..................2.6 (high or low beam)

Brakes on.......................................2.4
Fan on lowest speed (level 1)............2.4
Fan on next higher speed (level 2)......2.4
Fan on level 3.................................2.4 to 2.5
Fan at max speed (level 4)................2.5
A/C and fan at level 2......................3.6
A/C and fan at level 4......................3.7
ICE cooling fan on...........................2.4
Radio on low...................................2.3

I also monitored the pulse width for the 1st minute of idle when starting a cold engine at 55F ambient temp.
Start idle.........4.2
After 30 sec.....2.9
After 1 min.......2.6