Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   40.8mpg on 92 Civic VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/40-8mpg-on-92-civic-vx-6816.html)

4bfox 11-20-2007 08:50 PM

40.8mpg on 92 Civic VX

Well, we're doing better after the engine/transmission transplant on my VX.

Transmission was about gone, installed an engine and trans of of a VX with supposedly 30-40,000 miles....mine had 207,000 on it. Was getting low to mid 30's on mpg.

First tank with new(er) engine, now getting 40.8mpg....better, but still not FE nirvana!

Got my VX alloy rims today, LRR tires will be here in a few days, hopefully that'll help some...15" fat tires probably burn some extra gas.

All of the OEM air intake, filter box, etc. is gone, prior owner removed all that and installed an aftermarket intake/filter. So I have a couple hoses hanging there not connected to anything.

Don't know if putting OEM air intake/filter would help FE or not?

GasSavers_TomO 11-20-2007 09:24 PM

There shouldn't be any hoses laying around even with an aftermarket intake installed. Can you get a picture of the hoses? I'd be able to tell you where they go and such, if you'd like.

I've found that the difference between my aftermarket "whale penis" and the OEM filter is negligible. I do not have a SuperMID to have solid numbers though.

garyhgaryh 11-21-2007 01:45 AM

How long did it take you to do the engine/tranny R&R? You have pictures?
Gary

smccall 11-21-2007 05:38 AM

Congrats on better mpg. Get that thing back to stock and you'll be there.

Danronian 11-21-2007 07:16 AM

From my VX experience, it takes a while to get used to driving the VX drivetrain in order for it to get great MPG. Once you're a few tanks in, your mileage should go up.

4bfox 11-21-2007 08:04 AM

My biggest problem is changing my driving habits. Like most Americans, I usually had my foot in it, then stomp on the brake a block later to stop. I'm really trying to coast more, especially when a stop sign or intersection is coming up. Also trying NOT to mash the gas pedal, gradually increase speed to cruising.

Old habits die hard...but we'll get there. I'll try to get pics of the intake side, so maybe we can figure out what's missing.

Gary: I didn't have time to do the R&R myself, had my mechanic around the corner do it. He builds a hell of a 1/4 mile machine, so part of my problem is getting him to do things my way for better FE.

I do have a used VX engine and tranny that need overhauled, if somebody wants them REAL cheap. Like free...you pick up or pay shipping!

GasSavers_Ryland 11-21-2007 09:10 AM

give location

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4bfox (Post 83162)

I do have a used VX engine and tranny that need overhauled, if somebody wants them REAL cheap. Like free...you pick up or pay shipping!

What state are you in?

Danronian 11-21-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 83167)
What state are you in?

Beat me to it. :eek:

4bfox 11-21-2007 11:11 AM

I'm in SE Kansas, Eureka to be specific. Bit of a drive for you boys....I've done it before. Talked a friend into driving to WVirgina to look at a `65 Corvair Corsa convertible, drove there and towed it back, straight through.

Not sure I'd want to do it again, though...that was about 15 years ago.

4bfox 11-27-2007 11:16 AM

Pics of engine....

4 Attachment(s)
Hi:

Finally got my camera to work, have a look at these pics of my VX engine...still waiting on my Haynes manual to show up, so I have nothing to go by. Yes, it has an impressive "whale penis", there is something hanging to the right rear of the throttle body, and a hose with nothing on both ends to the left of the throttle body. Anything important missing?