Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Do I have a CEL or what? Calling all CRX HF-Z1 swappers... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/do-i-have-a-cel-or-what-calling-all-crx-hf-z1-swappers-6819.html)

MakDiesel 11-20-2007 10:45 PM

Do I have a CEL or what? Calling all CRX HF-Z1 swappers...

Premise: '89 CRX HF w/ D15Z1 swap, ECU conversion harness, 5-wire O2, stock down to the rusted exhaust tip, HF tranny, DIY grounding kit

I have to put this nagging question to rest. I've never owned any '88-up Honda before this btw, so go easy. I am 95% done on my '89 CRX HF+Z1 swap and besides a Rywire ECU conversion harness, I did all the wiring myself, with no prior soldering experience or help besides the Bible ( = Helms) and Matt T., Bunger, and SVOboy among others on this site who have greatly helped me out over the last two years on this endeavor. Anyway, the car starts/runs/drives, with slight hesitation sometimes and the occasional rev hang but otherwise awesome. I turn the car to RUN, the CEL blinks on (I guess to let me know the light works), then goes off and stays off. My question is, does this mean I have NO codes? When I ground the ECU Malfunction checker w/ a rocker switch, I get a steady CEL, no blinks. My '85 CRX Si has 4 LEDs on the ECU to let me know what's up. I've never dealt w/ OBD-0 or OBD-1 before this so it's all new to me. I also find it hard to believe I wired it all perfect the first time, although I did take a ridiculous amount of time to complete it last winter.

OK, question two, how perceivable is VTEC-E? With the P07 ECU, car in neutral, revving the car between 1.5-6k gives no distinct powerband changes. I've only driven the car 4 miles so I have yet to test it on-road. I didn't expect a kick in the pants just a variation from the norm. Supposedly VTEC kicks in at 2.2k on a Z1, IIRC. I had a spare P05 ECU ('92-95 CX) laying around and hooked it up, to my surprise the car run just the same (to me), maybe even a bit smooth on liftoff, but I would assume I had no VTEC engagment w/ this ECU. I won't know more until I assemble the rest of the car and get her street legal. More to come, surely. Thanks for listening to my ramble, Mak

93dagsr 11-21-2007 09:05 AM

yup steady light means no cel! congrats first time and done right!! vtec-e i don't think would be too detectable as a regular vtec is. i think it would make a little grunt when vtec hits but nothing big?!

Danronian 11-21-2007 09:19 AM

Sounds like no CEL to me.

Vtec-e is quite smooth, and right around 2300-2500 (don't remember right now). You can feel the increase in power. It's most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear.

My guess is everything works, but don't expect to be thrown back in your seat when you hit vtec for the first time.

MakDiesel 11-21-2007 06:10 PM

I've driven a stock VX before (a friend's) and hers was perceivable only if you concentrated on feeling it, and you are right, it's not so much a kick as a tiny nudge. Mak

Danronian 11-21-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakDiesel (Post 83237)
it's not so much a kick as a tiny nudge.

Perfect description of vtec-e "kicking-in." :D