Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Initial ODO readings of new car on fuelly (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/initial-odo-readings-of-new-car-on-fuelly-687.html)

ProDigit 07-04-2011 09:49 PM

Initial ODO readings of new car on fuelly

Can we add a feat to insert initial ODO readings of new car inserted on fuelly

When creating a new car in fuelly (new or second hand), after the first fuel up of a second hand car, the MPG readings are too off (could help in a situation where eg: the first fuel up has gotten you 92.020 miles; when the car has 92k miles on it at purchase)!

pb 07-04-2011 11:44 PM

I'm not sure I understand the problem. We don't do anything with the miles and gallons figures in the first fuel-up with odometer tracking for exactly that reason. Your first fuel-up is your first odometer reading in our system.

The nice part of doing it that way is that you know for a fact it's a full tank and it was filled up the way you normally do it. From that point on the stats should be accurate.

If we had a separate field for initial odometer it could make stats further off. Because Fuelly's calculations are based on the difference from full, we'd have to assume that initial odometer is also at a full tank. I don't think that's a safe assumption. And if we can't make that assumption, we wouldn't be able to use the initial odometer reading in any way.

You could always add your initial odometer reading as a note after your set up a new vehicle. That way it'd be noted in your records at least.

NavyVet1959 09-23-2018 05:16 PM

It also does seem to handle the case where you purchase a new vehicle and it comes from the dealership with a full tank. I just bought a vehicle and have only had one fillup so far, but the MPG is not calculated because I cannot seem to enter an initial record.

JockoT 09-24-2018 01:27 AM

I don't see the problem. I just put the initial fill and odometer reading into Fuelly, and the next time I filled up it gave me an accurate mpg figure for that tank and has done ever since. Even if a dealer has topped off the tank you have no idea just how "full" it is. Did he brim it to the neck? Did he stop at first click off? Either way could easily make a gallon difference. Does he fill up at pumps at the dealership or does ha drive 3 miles to the filling station where he has his account?

bridon60 09-29-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 (Post 198849)
It also does seem to handle the case where you purchase a new vehicle and it comes from the dealership with a full tank. I just bought a vehicle and have only had one fillup so far, but the MPG is not calculated because I cannot seem to enter an initial record.

Just what the others said I created an entry with the mileage at delivery, entered the number of gallons the car takes with a zero dollar for price per gallon and total cost. It worked great for me