Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Driving 55...can't draft a trucker (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/driving-55-cant-draft-a-trucker-6887.html)

GasSavers_BIBI 11-26-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erdrick (Post 83839)
Sitting back at 55mph lets you choose which truck to draft. When you find one that is going a speed that you like, then get on it! Where I am originally from, people very often drive with less than a single car length between cars, while driving at 70mph. Drafting is just common driving practice in Detroit. Sometimes you wonder if the vehicle in the back is actually being towed.

I personally saw a 10-15mpg increase when drafting in my parents' Lexus 400h, with the speed being anywhere from 60-65.

Drafting will have much more impact on a SUV then a litle car like a civic or a cavalier.

RningOnFumes 11-26-2007 03:58 PM

To Bibi, I just ordered a Scan guage II, (anyone want a nice price I can give you the link in a PM--it's from a vw group buy.) So I will definitely be using that.

To Mira, P&G sounds great but from the gas saving sticky, it sounds a bit complicated, don't think I'll try it yet. About traffic, I think I will stick close to slower big cars, either stay infront or behind them. Today, I had cars come rushing around the big rigs, just to get on to my tail. I guess they thought I was ahead because I already passed, not knowing that I was probably the reason why the trucker was slow.

In retrospect, I don't think drafting helped me much. First of all, I wasn't close enough-- only about 2 or 3 car lengths behind (too scared to get closer). Second, my car is pretty decent in the aero factor in my humble opinion. I mean it's not a box like a xB or anything and it is low enough already.

Lastly, I don't think there should be any regulations. Maybe instead of or in addition to carbon credits, incentives for companies to stagger start times? -- money talks. Maybe do it by the category? Can't have supervisor's supervising empty plants can we?

I couldn't help but think that I wished I had a 6 speed instead so I can cruise at a lower rpm than in the 5 speed.

And you're right Bibi, I don't think I'll be drafting unless I'm in a caravan of cars.

2TonJellyBean 11-26-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIBI (Post 83847)
Drafting will have much more impact on a SUV then a litle car like a civic or a cavalier.

BIBI, I'd have thought the opposite is true. To me it seems harder to fit a wider vehicle cleanly into the slipstream. The slipstream gets affected by crosswinds and unless you're on a motorcycle (which gets a great boost and way too high pf a risk) it's difficult to find the sweet spot.

DarbyWalters 11-26-2007 06:32 PM

But a larger vehicle (SUV) is pushing more wind normally...so the draft makes a big diff

trebuchet03 11-26-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RningOnFumes (Post 83850)
In retrospect, I don't think drafting helped me much. First of all, I wasn't close enough-- only about 2 or 3 car lengths behind (too scared to get closer). Second, my car is pretty decent in the aero factor in my humble opinion. I mean it's not a box like a xB or anything and it is low enough already.

Mythbusters had a 22% (hrmmm... could be wrong, I'm going from memory) aero reduction at 7 car lengths :thumbup: There's no fine line of advantage, it's several shades of gray :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've got some qualitative wool tuft photos attesting to this.

Quote:

BIBI, I'd have thought the opposite is true. To me it seems harder to fit a wider vehicle cleanly into the slipstream. The slipstream gets affected by crosswinds and unless you're on a motorcycle (which gets a great boost and way too high pf a risk) it's difficult to find the sweet spot.
Likely something similar to their increase in FE. 2 additional mpg for an SUV is much more significant percentage wise than 2mpg for basjoos :p

DarbyWalters 11-26-2007 07:40 PM

On a Bicycle in a pace line...the second rider uses 10% less energy in a headwind...the third rider uses alomost 20% less energy and the 4th rider 30% less...and that is just bikes.

rvanengen 11-26-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 83878)
Mythbusters had a 22% (hrmmm... could be wrong, I'm going from memory) aero reduction at 7 car lengths :thumbup: There's no fine line of advantage, it's several shades of gray :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've got some qualitative wool tuft photos attesting to this.

Let's see the photos! :D

trebuchet03 11-26-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvanengen (Post 83900)
Let's see the photos! :D

Threaded

I'm actually quite peeved with myself at the moment... I can't seem to find my digital camera (with memory card) - which has more shots at varying distances. They're not particularly useful as stills (they look just like the one's as shown - which is why I only posted one set).... I'm more mad because of other photos on the camera that I haven't put on my computer yet....

RningOnFumes 12-05-2007 03:17 PM

Update:

I've been doing the pulse and glide. IT WORKS! Allows me to keep up with the traffic as well and it bumped up my mpg.

Well, getting a scan guage helped a lot.

So instead of a steady 55 or 60, I do the P&G and take advantage of the hills. Still have to get used to drafting. On the occasions when I do hit the sweet spot behind a car/truck/something big. It's like a tractor beam and I've got to train myself not to be quick to the brake pedal. The sweet spots pulls you right in~!

Finallly hit a minor mark: made it to 500 miles on a tank (11.1 total but ususally only fill about 10.2- 10.7)

Thanks guys.

slurp812 12-08-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erdrick (Post 83839)
Sitting back at 55mph lets you choose which truck to draft. When you find one that is going a speed that you like, then get on it! Where I am originally from, people very often drive with less than a single car length between cars, while driving at 70mph. Drafting is just common driving practice in Detroit. Sometimes you wonder if the vehicle in the back is actually being towed.

I personally saw a 10-15mpg increase when drafting in my parents' Lexus 400h, with the speed being anywhere from 60-65.

LOL! I live about 80 miles south of downtown Detroit, and Iv been there many times. I know what you are talking about! I remember driving 5 mph over the limit, and getting passed like I was parked, and by MANY cars in a line. They dont call it the Motor City for nothing! FE in rush hour Detroit:eek: traffic must be really difficult!