Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New '92 Civic DX (soon to be VX) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-92-civic-dx-soon-to-be-vx-6894.html)

GasSavers_TomO 11-28-2007 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by first350 (Post 83960)
I plan to shave it to increase compression for FE...I'm having a little trouble finding good info on what kind of compression ratio to aim for that will still allow me to run 87 octane, but at least 1 person is saying 10.5...so I'll probably aim for 10 to be a bit conservative.

10.5 is all the higher I would go and still be able to stay with 87 octane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by first350 (Post 83960)
I'll do all the other easy stuff too: smooth out casting lines, port match,...I had thought of increasing compression by going w/ longer rods (you can usually get a higher compression ratio w/out detonation this way), but opted not to b/c I'm trying to keep costs low.

-Peter

You don't really want to mess with the stroke on the D15Z1, it sits right at a rod/stroke ratio of 1.62 which is perfect for low resistance rotating as well as lateral pressures of the piston.

If you really want to increase the FE of a VX, invent and aperture style throttle body. It would offer better, less restricted flow of air into the intake manifold. :cool:

first350 11-28-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 84113)
10.5 is all the higher I would go and still be able to stay with 87 octane.

You don't really want to mess with the stroke on the D15Z1, it sits right at a rod/stroke ratio of 1.62 which is perfect for low resistance rotating as well as lateral pressures of the piston.

If you really want to increase the FE of a VX, invent and aperture style throttle body. It would offer better, less restricted flow of air into the intake manifold. :cool:

aperture style TB - similar to a camera shutter? sounds like a good idea if you could get it to flow like a velocity stack for all throttle positions...I should start tinkering with this idea...

*wonder if smaller multiple throttle bodies would work...have them open up sequentially;

say you have 4 TB's:
full throttle - all 4 full open
freeway 65 MPH partial throttle - 1 full open, 3 full closed

you would choose how many TB's by sizing them such that 1 TB fully open would match power for freeway cruising.

GasSavers_vxhatch 11-28-2007 11:49 AM

taller/thinner

Quote:

Originally Posted by first350 (Post 84083)
i plan to run taller/thinner tire if I can find one...so the final ratio will be even taller!

Ah, taller/thinner - great qualities in a............................ tire. My car has 155/80/13 Kumhos. Taller/thinner than stock. iirc, max rated pressure is 42psi, wish it were higher. I bought the car with these tires, so I can't say whether they are a benefit to FE or not. I'll likely go back to the stock size, if I can find em, once these wear out.

Doug

first350 11-28-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vxhatch (Post 84163)
Ah, taller/thinner - great qualities in a............................ tire. My car has 155/80/13 Kumhos. Taller/thinner than stock. iirc, max rated pressure is 42psi, wish it were higher. I bought the car with these tires, so I can't say whether they are a benefit to FE or not. I'll likely go back to the stock size, if I can find em, once these wear out.

Doug

lol - I actually just bought the same tires...$130 shipped to my door - FTW! (I'm accustomed to paying $200+ per tire for my 350Z...I luv this civic!)