Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   04 civic hybrid - manual, new here!~ (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/04-civic-hybrid-manual-new-here-7373.html)

efficiencyJunkie 01-24-2008 07:35 AM

04 civic hybrid - manual, new here!~

Hey guys!

My car is OEM, except for 0w20 mobil 1, K&N drop in, and 15x7 forged wheels (10.1 pounds a piece) and performance tires. (280 tw, 205/50/15)

however, I still maintain a avg of 44.5 mpg, not the best, but i'm working on it!

Happy to be here!

efficiencyJunkie 01-24-2008 07:43 AM

oh and the car

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...7410122c5a.jpg

GasSavers_TomO 01-24-2008 08:06 AM

Welcome aboard! Sharp looking car you have there.

efficiencyJunkie 01-24-2008 08:14 AM

Thanks!

I was just involved in a yelling match with my buddy who was cutting up his OEM VX intake for "more noise." *sigh*

And then I figured out, i'm one of you guys!

GasSavers_TomO 01-24-2008 08:35 AM

The world needs more people like us indeed!

GasSavers_James 01-24-2008 09:21 AM

Hi there,
Nice car! Good to have more hondas on the site.
I am curious what RPM your civic is spinning at 60 MPH.
James

efficiencyJunkie 01-24-2008 09:47 AM

@ 60, its around 2k flat.

I get awesome mpg around 55-60 - but I havent done a full tank going that speed yet, or a long trip at all.

My mpg avg is from LA/OC traffic commuting, and street. So I think 47-50 mpg on a long trip is very possible!

(with LRR tires anyways) :thumbup:

Erdrick 01-24-2008 03:30 PM

efficiencyjunkie: You may want to look at the flow rate between your K&N and the OEM part for your car. At least with Volkswagen cars, the OEM parts offer better flow, and actually offer protection. As in, K&N filters have been confirmed as causing massive damage to the cars that used them because they offered little to no filtration. Just something you may want to look into.

Otherwise, get yourself a scanguage and pump those tires up!

As for that car coming in a manual, I had no idea that it was offered with anything other than an automatic. Makes the car a lot more interesting if you ask me...

efficiencyJunkie 01-25-2008 04:34 AM

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...5d43bc4246.jpg

*notice the Green shift up and down lights for max mpg! It actually helps to shift before the light goes off. Also, if you are giving the car too much gas, and it needs a lower gear, it will tell you to shift down.

efficiencyJunkie 01-25-2008 04:36 AM

Great point about the K&N Erdrick.

I clean out the K&N quite often (almost every 5k or so) - so I thought it would be better than having a paper unit and throwing it away every 20k, in terms of blockage from dirt.

If anyone has a link with a comparison of honda oem paper filters vs a K&N, that would be great!

Danronian 01-25-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efficiencyJunkie (Post 89574)
Great point about the K&N Erdrick.

I clean out the K&N quite often (almost every 5k or so) - so I thought it would be better than having a paper unit and throwing it away every 20k, in terms of blockage from dirt.

If anyone has a link with a comparison of honda oem paper filters vs a K&N, that would be great!

There is one somewhere... but I have no idea where I saw that.

Glad to see another HT member on here!

I like this site a lot for how I can log my MPG here as well as any change on my car I make that might affect mileage.

And of course b/c it's a community of people who care about MPG and not noisy, buzzing Hondas. ;)

GasSavers_Diemaster 01-25-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efficiencyJunkie (Post 89572)
https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...5d43bc4246.jpg

*notice the Green shift up and down lights for max mpg! It actually helps to shift before the light goes off. Also, if you are giving the car too much gas, and it needs a lower gear, it will tell you to shift down.

OHHHHHHH i just released a load on my keybourd :D. i have that cluster but never seen it lit up. only lights that arnt lit up are the turnsignals, hibeam, low gas, and trunk. any one know if u can make it fully funtional on a nother 7th gen civic?

also can u take that same pic w/o flash so i can see the odomiter display? :)

where do u got for parts like junkyard parts? i need sevral hybrid parts. mostly the autoclimate control parts. so if u ever part it out or crash it i get first dibs on parts :D :cool: :thumbup:

EDIT: lol BTW nice car and glad to meet u :P

efficiencyJunkie 01-26-2008 07:19 PM

yup

No problem man, I will get a photographer buddy to do a proper shoot, and without the flash this time!

I dont have any hookups for junkyard parts, sorry man.

Btw; you can find hybrid parts from 1st gen HCH's (honda civic hybrids) on ebay from time to time, but can I ask what you do with the parts if you dont have a HCH? Just curious!

efficiencyJunkie 01-26-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danronian (Post 89654)
There is one somewhere... but I have no idea where I saw that.

Glad to see another HT member on here!

I like this site a lot for how I can log my MPG here as well as any change on my car I make that might affect mileage.

And of course b/c it's a community of people who care about MPG and not noisy, buzzing Hondas. ;)

Thanks man, nice to see you here too! Hows the VX running?

Danronian 01-27-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efficiencyJunkie (Post 89750)
Thanks man, nice to see you here too! Hows the VX running?

It's going pretty smooth lately.

Recently got my best 60 mpg fill-up after a 7hr straight road trip I did. Car didn't have an issue at all. Too bad when my car was broken into, they stole the damn receipt, so it won't be on my gas log...

Just switched to synthetic, and am going to replace the spark plugs today (about 10k miles on them, and kinda worn), so hopefully that just give my MPG a little boost.

This week I actually dropped some non-MPG related cash into it...
new corner lights (one is cracked from a stupid deer that ran into me)
yellow fogs
alarm system + some other security measures (my window got smashed out this week, so I figured I should add some protection to the car)
horns ($12 air horn setup, and an oem replacement for mine which barely makes a sound)

The car should be a lot different by the end of the week. :D

GasSavers_Diemaster 01-27-2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efficiencyJunkie (Post 89749)
No problem man, I will get a photographer buddy to do a proper shoot, and without the flash this time!

I dont have any hookups for junkyard parts, sorry man.

Btw; you can find hybrid parts from 1st gen HCH's (honda civic hybrids) on ebay from time to time, but can I ask what you do with the parts if you dont have a HCH? Just curious!

firs of all whats a HCH? Honda Civic Hybrid?

i'm puting sevral hybrid things into my civic. the cluster (hopfuly) so i can change some lights and make them like VTEC and somehow employ thr shiftlights indipendently. and also the auto climate control i allready got the computer and dash part but i need the dash harness and sunlight, outside, and inside temp sensors and all wiring / plugs that go with it.

efficiencyJunkie 02-03-2008 06:28 AM

Yup, honda civic hybrid = HCH. Good luck with your project man!

haha, sorry greenhybrids.com talk.

Update!

So, the hybrid battery failed @ 89k. I brought it in, because I thought the hybrid software had just crashed, and was throwing CEL's. The dealership was suprised too, and everyone I talked to said they've only seen HCH batteries die due to accidents, or high mileage, over 150k range.

Lucky in CA, they are warrentied for 10 years/150k.