Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Idle time during cold weather (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/idle-time-during-cold-weather-7596.html)

Rayme 02-20-2008 07:10 AM

Idle time during cold weather

Has anyone experimented with idle time during cold weather (without a block heater?)

I usually start the car, wait about 10-15 seconds and drive away. My logic being that the engine will warm up faster if I put load on it, and it would wear less than letting a cold engien idling and warm up way slower...but I never thought about which uses more fuel.

Maybe the engine would use less fuel if I let it warm up at idle for 1-2 minute, and use less fuel if I only drive if after???

mmhh...

BTW I'd love a block heater but its not worth the price now, this is my car's last winter, I want a beater civic or tercel hehe :)

lunarhighway 02-20-2008 08:24 AM

what i always hear is that from an FE perspective it's best to drive off slowly right away... take it easy on the engine. after all when it's really cold it's not just the engine that needs to be warmed up but allso all the lubrication in the bearings and the transmission... the heat to do this will come from friction when the car is moving... wich is not good news for FE but there's no way around it.

a grillblock is a cheap way to air your warmup slightly and if it's cold the risks of overheating ar minimal.

so my advice it to avoide idle whenever possible

Rayme 02-20-2008 09:20 AM

I got a large sheet of plastic aat home, I think I'm going to cover half my my radiator or something.

8307c4 02-20-2008 10:05 AM

I drive mine as soon as the rpm's settle, which takes a few seconds at most.
Just take it real easy for the first few miles, if the driveway is flat I usually don't even give it gas for the first 20-30 seconds but in gear it is and I'm off.

VetteOwner 02-20-2008 03:17 PM

yea you wanan keep the rpm's as low as possible, the thicker oil has to be pushed thru the tiny oil jets and most liekly there isnt enough. thats why most engine wear is start up because there is no oil lube.

GasSavers_Erik 02-20-2008 03:36 PM

When its really cold, I like to crank the engine until the oil light goes off- usually 8-9 seconds. That way at least the main and rod bearings are getting oil. Then I pump the gas pedal once and it fires right up. Of course this pre-lube starting technique only works on a car with a carb.

A fuel injected car usually fires up immediately- I guess the guys with the injector cut off switch could use my cold start tactic.

Snax 02-20-2008 04:12 PM

Unless I need the defroster running, I drive off immediately, paying no special attention to rpm beyond normal hypermiling by trying to keep them low.

GasSavers_SD26 02-20-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayme (Post 91545)
Has anyone experimented with idle time during cold weather (without a block heater?)

I usually start the car, wait about 10-15 seconds and drive away. My logic being that the engine will warm up faster if I put load on it, and it would wear less than letting a cold engien idling and warm up way slower...but I never thought about which uses more fuel.

Maybe the engine would use less fuel if I let it warm up at idle for 1-2 minute, and use less fuel if I only drive if after???

mmhh...

BTW I'd love a block heater but its not worth the price now, this is my car's last winter, I want a beater civic or tercel hehe :)

How cold is it where you are?

We've been very cold, and that's a judgement call now isn't it, and I'm looking for a couple minutes of warm up time. But I really need that.

Movement will generate load, but it will also generate air movement across the block, etc.

JanGeo 02-20-2008 05:18 PM

I would start looking at the scangauge engine temp and like suggested just take off without any gas. You auto guys have it tough however and at least park so you don't have to back up to start off. Have friends that park nose in and have to back up a steep driveway and turn around when the engine is racing - talk about working the power steering and banging the tranny around in an automatic!! OUCH!

kamesama980 02-20-2008 06:10 PM

I give it 10-20 seconds for oil to circulate and un-congeal from the cold then go easy on it. darn thing warms quick but barely stays warm anyway why bother trying to warm it up.