Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Crx Hf Vs. Civic Vx (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/crx-hf-vs-civic-vx-7636.html)

panamacolin 02-25-2008 09:02 AM

Crx Hf Vs. Civic Vx

Hi,

Just wondering what car you guys would rather have? and of course your reasons why.

101mpg 02-25-2008 09:26 AM

CRX has better mileage, slightly lower insurance premiums. VX can hold more cargo.

CRX with a VTEC engine from a VX gets best mileage.

panamacolin 02-25-2008 09:34 AM

thats what I would really want a crx hf with the d15z1 the hf tranny and vx wheels.

I wonder how many mpg you could get with that setup?

soletek 02-25-2008 11:02 AM

Hey guys, I'll let you know shortly. I have an 1985 CRX HF, the lightest of all HFs. They are rated at curb weight 1713. I have found this means that this build has no options. The acutal weight of my car which has factory air was 1780. After I am done with the conversion, I'll weigh again and let all know. The VX engine is now in and running. I am finishing the wrapping of the newly constructed harnesses at this time. The next phase of the project is to build a custom dash to house the VX instrument cluster, HF heater and ac control unit, and HF headlight dimmer switch. This conversion of a first gen CRX to a third gen engine has been more extreme than I ever imagined. I went from a three barrel carburetor and no computer to a SFI injection system in its entirety. I'm very pleased to announce that all applicable circuits work. Ie.: seatbelt warning light and buzzer, key in ignition buzzer, clutch override switch, air conditioning controls, heater controls, dimmer circuit, window washer/wipers including intermittent, and all other applicable systems required on factory original '95 VX cars. This is because I could not just plug in a few wires to make it work. I replaced the existing '85 fuse box and all of its satellite control boxes with the '95 integrated control fuse box and harness, under hood fuse relay box with electronic load detection (operable). Also reconfigured the '95 VX system to recognize all of the '85 controls (such as the combination switch). As for the transmission, the VX has taller gearing than the HF, therefore, I found it not to be desirable to stick with the HF tranny, and since they now sell a cable to hydraulic conversion clutch master cylinder, which is on its way, I used a '94 CX tranny which has the same gearing as the VX. Also, the '85 CRX HF axles slip right into the CX tranny. No modifications required. Do know that custom motor mounts are a must.
I manufactured my own to connect to the ' 85 CRX factory location to allow the use of '85 CRX rubber mounts for ease of future replacement. For you, a fair warning (not listed to brag). I do have a very extensive background in automotive (engines, transmissions, differential, electrical systems, suspension systems, structural alteration, paint and body, and exhaust system design/fabrication), machining, blacksmithing, welding, sheetmetal fabrication and with all that I still consider this to be an extreme challenge. If anybody is still interested in attempting this, I am very willing to help with as much information as I can. Good luck!!!!!

panamacolin 02-25-2008 11:10 AM

WOW cool I would be interested in the results. I thought 2nd Gen CRX HF's had the highest geared tranny's of all the hondas, yes including the cx and vx.

civic94 02-25-2008 12:30 PM

also vx has more room inside, car is rounder (not a box) and seats 4 people, 5 if you add a seat belt in the middle of the rear seat.

GasSavers_Ryland 02-25-2008 12:37 PM

The gearing varried by state, Californa and High altitude models had lower gearing in the CRX.
I also have a 1985 crx hf, and a civic vx, and I like the crx for it's light weight and quickness, the engine is mostly shot in it (new one sitting in the garage) and it's still really fun to drive, but I've had 3 and 4 people in it befor, and having people laying in the back hatch area is not fun for very long (had a passenger back there for 700 miles once), it's also harder to find information on repairing it, and finding some minor parts, mostly due to it's age, and it's been a really cheap car to own.
I like my vx because it has more space in the back, front seats and head room are pretty close, altho the crx has slightly more space up front, the vx has that back seat for more passengers, and it folds, half at a time so you can have large cargo and someone in the back seat, it's great, the lack of 56 vacuum hoses is also nice for when you have to work on something or truble shoot it.
If you are commuting alone, I don't see anything wrong with a CRX, passengers are the main reason for liking the larger vehicle.

civic94 02-25-2008 03:34 PM

i would rather have the vx, since it has airbags for safety, can seat 4 people, haul stuff, looks nicer

101mpg 02-25-2008 07:50 PM

Forgot about the airbags if that makes a difference - some people that is a plus.

Soletek - PLEASE start a thread about your build because people are dying to see it.

Please post actual numbers with the gearing in your tranny because all VXs and CRX HFs are NOT the same WRT transmission and ECU, namely the CA versions. A non-CA CX may have a taller tranny than a CA HF, but check both gearing and final drive on your tranny to be sure. The HF should have the tallest gearing - have checked many sites on its gearing to be sure.

panamacolin 02-25-2008 07:57 PM

I want a clean CRX HF as well....I have been on the prowl for one for a while but moneys a bit tight for now. I am sure I will come across a nice hf but I will probably buy it and toss it on ebay and then cry and wish I had the cash to keep it...