Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Ideas to build Active grill ? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/ideas-to-build-active-grill-7637.html)

usedgeo 02-25-2008 06:43 PM

Your system is very good. I have removed the air dams on my Saturns and blocked the grills. I am thinking of using a panel behind the bumper on the bottom that I can pivot down to catch the air. The air would go up and through the radiator when needed. No drawings yet. If I put a large air dam on the car I will need to copy your idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweakmenow (Post 92013)
This is for my 97 Honda D16Y8. A choke cable easily moves a coroplast door, sliding on rails cut from a rain gutter leaf shield. A small square piece of aluminium with a set-screw locks the cable in proper position. The rails were siliconed to the vehicle. I keep the door fully closed until the Scanguage reports the water temp to operating range. Then, depending upon the OAT and vehicle speed, I know just how much to open the slide. During long EOC. I close the door to keep in the heat. Total cost for everything is $15.00
It's awesome to be able to operate this from your seat... :p

Snax 02-25-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweakmenow (Post 92013)
This is for my 97 Honda D16Y8. A choke cable easily moves a coroplast door, sliding on rails cut from a rain gutter leaf shield. A small square piece of aluminium with a set-screw locks the cable in proper position. The rails were siliconed to the vehicle. I keep the door fully closed until the Scanguage reports the water temp to operating range. Then, depending upon the OAT and vehicle speed, I know just how much to open the slide. During long EOC. I close the door to keep in the heat. Total cost for everything is $15.00
It's awesome to be able to operate this from your seat... :p

That looks like the most reliable way to do it.

Nice job!

boxchain 02-25-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 92033)
I'm gonna put my money on gravity/airflow/spring-loaded doors doing a lot of flapping around in the wind. Then the flapping will drive you nuts, you'll pull over, then you'll rip it to smithereens if it hasn't already self-destructed.

Yeah, maybe. I'm just afraid of doing a grill block with our 7 months of 90 degree weather. :(

And if anything, I tend to overbuild, so I'd have to be the one to rip it out :D

cfg83 02-26-2008 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
theclencher -

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 92033)
I'm gonna put my money on gravity/airflow/spring-loaded doors doing a lot of flapping around in the wind. Then the flapping will drive you nuts, you'll pull over, then you'll rip it to smithereens if it hasn't already self-destructed.

Ha ha, good point. I can see Homer ripping it to shreds! Here's another variation on the same :

Attachment 1213

The "slow speed" state would have a gap between the flaps for wind to get into and open it at higher speeds. There would have to be a spring somewhere to "push it back" at slower speeds.

CarloSW2