Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Geo Metro Electric Car (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/geo-metro-electric-car-7658.html)

Brian D. 02-27-2008 05:52 PM

Geo Metro Electric Car

I hav ea question about this current Ebay item:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Geo-M...QQcmdZViewItem

My question is, why would ANYONE be interested in this for a 15-mile range? Or are they suggesting that they can somehow pre-determine what a 15-mile charge is, then only charge the batteries for that amount of range? I be confused.

white90crxhf 02-27-2008 07:22 PM

i wonder why they're getting rid of it if there's only 23k. I'd guess it runs out of steam after 15 miles at 55? not sure i couldn't drive it to work and back, though some people at my work could...i am suprised to see it going for $5100!

Snax 02-27-2008 08:06 PM

Most likely the battery pack is simply shot and they don't want or know how to deal with getting them replaced.

Solectria is a good name in ready made electrics however. I'd be very tempted if this were a local sale.

GasSavers_Ryland 02-27-2008 08:37 PM

I don't understand what the confusion is, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, State Surplus Property Office is selling a 13 year old car, they also state "In order for the vehicle to go greater distances, the battery(s) must be replaced" and that is a commen reason right there that people sell electric vehicles, they used it for 13 years most likely without a single problem and the batteries are now shot, I suspect that it might still has the origonal tires on it.
The price also seems rather reasonable, you are bascily getting a new car (22,500 miles), a motor, motor adaptor plate, controler, charger, battery trays, wiring, dc-dc converter, I meen, look at the truble that people go thru to build electric vehicles, and here is one that was part of a small scale production, not cobbled together.
With a day and a half left I'm betting it's going to get up over $8,000.

101mpg 02-28-2008 04:05 AM

This would be a KILLER deal if someone had the money to lay out for it and only replace the battery pack, even if they did what the FrankenSwift project did and get cheaper batteries. The basically brand-new car would be WONDERFUL, and it looks to be in excellent shape.

There might only be one or two batteries in the pack that need replacing, who knows, but likely they are all fairly shot due to poor driving techniques.

This looks like a great buy to me, too bad I don't have enough money to pick it up myself.

JanGeo 02-28-2008 05:28 AM

Yeah great deal and better yet get some newer batteries like LiIon for a few thousand and you would be running great. Only problem is the darn Geos rust out in the suspension area in front like mine (1994 4 door hatchback) did. 22k on the tires is nothing but they are probably dry rotted like crazy.

pmistel 02-28-2008 06:54 PM

I have been following the auction and I am really pissed off!!! I actually had the high bid of $5200 but I had to retract it because guess what, I can't import an electric vehicle to Canada!!!

Now if it were more than 15 years old, I could, but this car, NO. It is not on the transport Canada list of acceptable vehicles so NO GO. I had thought about just trying to import it and not mention that it was electric, but I think it is a bit to risky. I didn't want to gamble with 5 Grand. I would have given it some serious thought if I had a trailer to bring it back with, but I don't have one. And then I would have to have it inspected by a mechanic specified by the government, and I would have been caught.

We signed the Kyoto accord, but electric cars are not allowed, go figure!!

pmistel 02-29-2008 08:40 AM

now up to $9100.

That's for a 13 year old car that needs a new battery pack, and even with a new pack does not have very good performance. Really crappy compared to the EV1. Imagine how many GM would be selling if they still had them. I feel bad for all the employee's who are going to loose their jobs when GM goes t!ts up.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 02-29-2008 09:31 AM

I like the sound of that Hyundai Atos EV, 120 miles on a 7 hour charge, top speed 130kph. Introduced in 1997, so gotta wait until 2012 to import one....

Heh, looked up more about the EV-1, GM seemed to want to want to bury it... if you wanna see one up close go to the Henry Ford museum LOL.

GasSavers_Ryland 02-29-2008 10:03 AM

As much as I would like to have seen the EV-1 stick around, there were just over 1,000 of them built, it seems that the reason they get as much attention as they do is that they were one of the few compenies to do a nearly compleat recal on that vehicle, and that befor releasing them to the public they did a great bit of advertizing, but if the EV-1 was still around would it even make up 5% of the electric vehicles in the US?
personaly I wish honda had kept more of their EV Plus around.

I'm a little suprized that the geo metro is up over $9,000, but I supose if we are in a time that a low mileage gas geo metro is getting top dollar then why shouldn't the electric modle?