Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   More on the Boat Anchor Muffler (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/more-on-the-boat-anchor-muffler-7863.html)

Mayhim 03-22-2008 07:49 AM

More on the Boat Anchor Muffler

When I first took control of the CRX it had a horrendously cobbled together muffler that hung down into the slipstream. Removal of it increased my mileage greatly.

I cut and welded some pipe I had from the muffler removal to make a short pipe out behind the passenger side rear tire. It blatted and droned some, but was liveable. I really thought the short pipe was what gave me so much better mpgs - a better breathing engine.

Last week I picked up an entire muffler assembly from the flange in front of the rear tire back to the tailpipe. It was still shiny and has many miles of life in it. What a deal! However quiet it might be, though, I figured I would pay for it in mpgs.

In reality, it didn't cut my mpg's at all. I still get 50mpg on the highway whether I have a straight pipe or muffler.

The reason for the horrible mileage with the original muffler was only because it hung down so far.

Now I can hear the radio and not give up mpg's! Woo-Hoo!

Drag Limited 03-22-2008 09:28 AM

interesting! 50mpg!!! WOW!

GasSavers_Ryland 03-22-2008 12:01 PM

I've seen some people get better mileage without a muffler because they drive better without it, if you floor it, it gets really loud.

VetteOwner 03-22-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible (Post 94330)
When I first took control of the CRX it had a horrendously cobbled together muffler that hung down into the slipstream. Removal of it increased my mileage greatly.

I cut and welded some pipe I had from the muffler removal to make a short pipe out behind the passenger side rear tire. It blatted and droned some, but was liveable. I really thought the short pipe was what gave me so much better mpgs - a better breathing engine.

Last week I picked up an entire muffler assembly from the flange in front of the rear tire back to the tailpipe. It was still shiny and has many miles of life in it. What a deal! However quiet it might be, though, I figured I would pay for it in mpgs.

In reality, it didn't cut my mpg's at all. I still get 50mpg on the highway whether I have a straight pipe or muffler.

The reason for the horrible mileage with the original muffler was only because it hung down so far.

Now I can hear the radio and not give up mpg's! Woo-Hoo!

im betting the old muffler was partially clogged and thats part of the reason why you were getting worse mileage. but some of it probably came from the low hanging muffler.

Mayhim 03-22-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 94360)
im betting the old muffler was partially clogged and thats part of the reason why you were getting worse mileage. but some of it probably came from the low hanging muffler.

That thought crossed my mind, as well, and could be quite true. Still, I guess you had to see it hanging down like it did to believe how bad it was.

The 50mpg came with a steady hwy cruise at 63-ish mph. I guess I could get a little better for the record if I aired the tires up a little more (they're at 42psi now) and went a bit slower. I'm not sure it's safe to go any slower on 1-29. I'll have to find a slower highway and try it there.