Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   riding on 1st gear saving gas? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/riding-on-1st-gear-saving-gas-7875.html)

civic94 03-23-2008 07:57 PM

riding on 1st gear saving gas?

where i live, its about 100 yards every block with a stop sign, 1 way 1 lane roads. when I start up my car, it shoots to about 1700 rpm (warming up), and i usually (when theres no cars in sight) I gas a bit, then put it in 1st gear and let the engine warm up+move the car. I can get enough energy to shift to 2nd gear without gassing it, gets me to about 15 mph.

does doing that save more gas compared to if i just gas it on 1st, and coast it in N while the engine is warming up? or does it save more gas since the enigne is warming up, i just use that high rpm to propel the car (it usually drops to 1300 rpm from 1700, then climb its way back up when car is moving a bit faster)

Silver00 03-24-2008 05:17 AM

I would look into why it is idleing so high, that is higher than normal.

lovemysan 03-24-2008 05:25 AM

I'd start in second gear if the terrain allowed.

Drag Limited 03-24-2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver00 (Post 94472)
I would look into why it is idleing so high, that is higher than normal.

When very cold my car will idle @ 2300 rpm momentarily :)

red91sit 03-24-2008 08:19 AM

When my car is very cold, it doesnt' start haha.

1993CivicVX 03-24-2008 10:17 AM

My car idles at 2000 when I first start it when it's cold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civic94
where i live, its about 100 yards every block with a stop sign, 1 way 1 lane roads. when I start up my car, it shoots to about 1700 rpm (warming up), and i usually (when theres no cars in sight) I gas a bit, then put it in 1st gear and let the engine warm up+move the car. I can get enough energy to shift to 2nd gear without gassing it, gets me to about 15 mph.

does doing that save more gas compared to if i just gas it on 1st, and coast it in N while the engine is warming up? or does it save more gas since the enigne is warming up, i just use that high rpm to propel the car (it usually drops to 1300 rpm from 1700, then climb its way back up when car is moving a bit faster)

You're driving on flat, right? In my car, when the engine is cold, it pushes the car pretty good when you put it in 1st gear and don't press the gas. It will push the car to about 1500rpm. Then I can just plop it into 2nd gear without touching the gas, and let it push again. When I'm in your situation, I just let the cold engine do all the pushing trying to get the engine warm. If I get up to 15 or 20mph I can plop into 3rd. Does that make sense? If you put it in neutral, then you are having the higher RPM. I don't have a Supermid so I can't say whether or not this method uses less gas, but for me it's hard to imagine it doesn't.

civic94 03-24-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 94497)
My car idles at 2000 when I first start it when it's cold.

You're driving on flat, right? In my car, when the engine is cold, it pushes the car pretty good when you put it in 1st gear and don't press the gas. It will push the car to about 1500rpm. Then I can just plop it into 2nd gear without touching the gas, and let it push again. When I'm in your situation, I just let the cold engine do all the pushing trying to get the engine warm. If I get up to 15 or 20mph I can plop into 3rd. Does that make sense? If you put it in neutral, then you are having the higher RPM. I don't have a Supermid so I can't say whether or not this method uses less gas, but for me it's hard to imagine it doesn't.

i'm doing exactly what you described, just a better description on your part i guess. the only thing that i do extra is gas a tiny bit to engage to 1st from the parking spot so the engine wont die out.