Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   undisclosed ethanol content in gas (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/undisclosed-ethanol-content-in-gas-8082.html)

Rayme 04-20-2008 03:57 PM

undisclosed ethanol content in gas

from wikipedia:

Quote:

In several states, ethanol is added by law to a minimum level which is currently 5.9%. Most fuel pumps display a sticker stating that the fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol, an intentional disparity which allows the minimum level to be raised over time without requiring modification of the literature/labeling.
I know that E85 gas usually results in poorer gas mileage due to less energy per volume..so that means "using that example" that getting gas from Shell results in poorer gas mileage than another random gas station what uses pure gasoline???

Has somebody researched this before?

theclencher 04-20-2008 06:36 PM

Some studies claim fe increase at up to 20% ethanol concentrations.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-21-2008 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 96416)
Some studies claim fe increase at up to 20% ethanol concentrations.

I dunno if you've seen it on your Tempos, but the Tempo I was borrowing a lot did ~25mpg on "random" gas and ~29-31mpg on Sunoco, which has the "May contain 10% Ethanol" sign on the pump. My other vehicles aren't so keen on Sunoco.

GasSavers_SD26 04-21-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayme (Post 96403)
I know that E85 gas usually results in poorer gas mileage due to less energy per volume..so that means "using that example" that getting gas from Shell results in poorer gas mileage than another random gas station what uses pure gasoline???

Has somebody researched this before?

Well, when RFG was mandated by the EPA to the Milwaukee metro area in the late 90's, here's some things I learned.

First, the expansion of ethanol is different than gasoline. It's made in huge batches too. So, first, recognize that we're talking hundreds of thousands of gallons in each recipe. Next, if it's made within spec the 10% ethanol, by volume adds about 2.8% oxygen to the mixture, but the law allows a variation between 1.7 to 3.5% oxygen, which is a swing in the volume of ethanol because of production mixing and by expansion and contraction through temperature changes.

Finally, gasoline isn't very different from manufacturer to manufacturer because of a lot of the Clear Air Acts from the early 90's. Gasoline is a fuel that is important to have in the supply chain, so it's distributed to everyone. Just because you have a Shell station, for example, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was made by the Shell manufacturing. Sure, it probably came in the tanker that it usually comes in, but it's origination is not known. It's in the retailer, manufacturer, and the distributors best interest to keep the supply moving.

I don't like ethanol mandates. It should be a choice.

baddog671 04-21-2008 11:09 AM

E85 would be good becuase although it yields less mpg, it could be produced much cheaper.

E10 makes no sense. Less mpg for the sam price as straight gas

GasSavers_SD26 04-21-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddog671 (Post 96464)
E85 would be good becuase although it yields less mpg, it could be produced much cheaper.

E10 makes no sense. Less mpg for the sam price as straight gas

Get rid of the government subsidy, and I don't know how one can make it cheaper. The increased cost of food is also a problem.

baddog671 04-21-2008 11:28 AM

I agree. Arable land is already working full capacity and I dont think corn can maintain the entire US...

Hateful 04-21-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 96468)
Get rid of the government subsidy, and I don't know how one can make it cheaper. The increased cost of food is also a problem.

I really don't like corn anyway but I'm sure they can grow more. The government had been paying farmers not the grow corn for decades.

theclencher 04-21-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddog671 (Post 96469)
I agree. Arable land is already working full capacity and I dont think corn can maintain the entire US...

Maybe taking action on ways to lessen demand on resources is appropriate at this juncture.

theclencher 04-21-2008 02:06 PM

https://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmg...se_12507-1.pdf

Yes it's sponsored by industry, but the content agrees with my experiences.