Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Help w/ my DD? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/help-w-my-dd-8091.html)

baddog671 04-21-2008 10:47 AM

Help w/ my DD?

So, my metro broke the other week if you remember my post and now I'm relying solely on my Mustang as a daily driver. Really sucks going from ~50mpg to ~18mpg. I feel that I did my best on driving technique on the Metro, but the Mustang is a whole different animal, being an auto. Anyone tips?

I'm hesitant doing EOC since I'd have manual brakes in a 3000+ car and manual steering with 255's in the front.

I've just been trying to keep it under the speed limit and coast downhill, but I cant do any better than 18ish.

Plugs/wires/cap was replaced less than 3k ago. Air filters good too. It definitly needs a fuel filter tho...

~Nic

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-21-2008 11:08 AM

IMO, autos need to be accelerated fairly briskly, the efficiency is down the pan below TC stall speed, usually around 2000rpm. Then lift off sharp when you get to limit and reapply until you can just feel it staying moving. If it's too low a speed to lock up the TC you'll still be wasting 10%... you should have fuel cut above 1800 RPM on that, all EECs do it I believe, so "micro" pulse and glide might work, give it gas, let it roll, then catch it before RPM drops below 1800 and pulse it again.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-21-2008 11:12 AM

Oh yes and the usual stuff, air up the tires, make sure it's all tuned up etc...

Might try sticking little (and I mean tiny) wedges of modelling clay in the back of the MAF metering tube.. to lean it out a little. EEC will probably correct it out on the O2 though.

baddog671 04-21-2008 11:14 AM

It seems to run low rpms all the time. I can cruise at 70-75 at around 1600rpm.. I think it has like 2.75's in the rear...

bowtieguy 04-21-2008 12:33 PM

can you sell the 'stang to fix the 'ro?

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-21-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddog671 (Post 96466)
It seems to run low rpms all the time. I can cruise at 70-75 at around 1600rpm.. I think it has like 2.75's in the rear...

Wow, surprising you don't get 30mpg+ at that speed. TC should lock up at 45mph I think. Revs can stay low on the highway when it's locked without losses... the motor probably ain't anywhere near it's torque peak though.... sounds like one of those situations that filling the intake up with twisters and such gizmos might work, merely for intake restriction and slightly longer air path making the torque come in lower.

Could be a candidate for disabling injectors.

Something seems wrong though, I've embarrassed 'stang V6es too many times to think that motor is tuned for power, I know it's a pig, 4000lb or so, but it should have something resembling aerodynamics. Just pulled 24mpg near as dammit in a 3800lb loaded minivan, with a 136HP V6, with probably 50% more frontal area, .43 Cd and RPM at 2600-2800 locked up in highest gear.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-21-2008 04:30 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Es...%28Canadian%29

Actually, seeing how much of a boost the split port heads gave that motor, I'd say it definitely lacks swirl or tumble, I'd fab up a twister for it, see if it does anything.

baddog671 04-23-2008 09:57 AM

Your right, just becuase its a "Mustang" doesn't mean it has alot of power. I hate that stereotype.

The plan was to sell my Mustang this spring and rely on the Metro till I could find another newer, good quality, FE car and then get rid of the Metro as well. Since the Metro died and is now in the junkyard, I'm relying solely on my stang for commute and cant sell it cuz then I wont have a car. It would be hard for me to buy another car before selling this one..

I did a short experiment with EOC this morning and really liked it. EVen on a very very light decline, the fat car held alot of momentum and went alot further than the light Metro would. I'll start trying more areas with EOC..