Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Starting to Change? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/starting-to-change-8100.html)

Hockey4mnhs 04-21-2008 06:25 PM

Starting to Change?

Have you guys seen any changes in peoples driveing? How people are doing 55mph. Seeing more hybrids and less suv's. How about your friends starting agreeing with you on how you want a hybrid and how they are pretty cool now. I have been seeing all these and more what have you seen if anything.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-21-2008 06:57 PM

Actually, the highways are slowing down a lot round here... I couldn't drive around at less than 110% of the limit without getting aggressively tailgated, cut off etc etc, a few months ago, but everything has got more mellow lately... I'm just cruisin' at 95% in the slow lane now and people are just edging by me, I get a train of saturns and honda civics forming behind me, not tailgating close, it's like they're just staying in the edge of the draft and using me as pacesetter.

dkjones96 04-21-2008 07:00 PM

I've been very surprised at the drivers here in ABQ lately. I don't see a whole lot of people grossly speeding or anything, but the speed cameras on the freeway are to blame for that I think. Whatever works!

Hockey4mnhs 04-21-2008 07:12 PM

speed cameras? were is that?

2000mc 04-21-2008 07:16 PM

the slowdown has been pretty mild in iowa, i still have to speed to get any drafting action, aside from some 18wheelers doing 70 on the interstate.

i have noticed though that the average size of the passenger vehicle on the road has shrunk noticably over the last year (myself included)

DRW 04-21-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 96530)
Actually, the highways are slowing down a lot round here... I couldn't drive around at less than 110% of the limit without getting aggressively tailgated, cut off etc etc, a few months ago, but everything has got more mellow lately... I'm just cruisin' at 95% in the slow lane now and people are just edging by me, I get a train of saturns and honda civics forming behind me, not tailgating close, it's like they're just staying in the edge of the draft and using me as pacesetter.

I agree, it's like that around here, too. :thumbup:
Some times I'll look in the rearview mirror and see another car following at a reasonable distance and keeping that distance nice and steady. Sometimes I'll catch up to a car that's going a little slower than I was, so I'll match their pace and save a little more gas. Naturally I'll be respectfull and follow them at a steady pace so they don't think I'm a tailgater and get upset. I think this 'slowdown' thing is going to workout OK.

R.I.D.E. 04-22-2008 06:19 PM

6 years ago on 95 between Richmond and DC if you went 80 you didn't get passed much, 64 from Richmond to Williamsburg was not quite as bad, but close. Speed limit is 65.

Two weeks ago on 95 I was going about 66 in the right lane following a tractor trailer who was going the same speed, and I got almost 66 MPG, in my recently accquired low mileage VX. In general traffic was mostly doing 65-70 with a few going faster.

Today driving 12 miles on 64 west from Newport News to Williamsburg I followed a truck at 60-65, and almost no one was passing me, except for a couple of tailgating SUV morons when I moved to the left lane to exit (only left lane exit between Newport News and Richmond).

I also noticed the volume of traffic has dropped considerably, it was between 1 and 2 PM when most people are still at work.

regards
gary

Snax 04-22-2008 06:22 PM

I think sometimes we see what we want to see in others. Other times we see the insanity, like today as a jacked up H2 passed me at 70+ mph while I meandered along at the PSL of 55. I suspect the H2 fuel economy was 1/2 of mine, nevermind the overall cost per mile for a piece of crap 25 year old car that is paid off vs. ???

dkjones96 04-23-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 96534)
speed cameras? were is that?

I25 through Albuquerque, NM

BBsGarage 04-23-2008 10:32 AM

No change near me, doing 70 is still a center or right lane deal.
Too many Jerzy Gurls need their big SUV's while chatting on the phone and driving at 80mph.

Gotta be the first at those sales at the mall you know. ;)