Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Starting to Change? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/starting-to-change-8100.html)

opelgt73 05-10-2008 04:47 AM

I've noticed it around here in Indianapolis. People aren't whizzing by anymore at 80+mph, now if I get passed they are usually doing 68-70mph.

As for my personal driving habits I have slowed down considerably in my SUV, dropping my speed from 75 to 55 saw my MPG go from 15 to nearly 18. On the other hand I have not slowed down in my BMW. I haven't been able to get a noticeable drop in MPG by slowing down. Using the trip computer or computing by hand I get 28mpg no matter what. But I think I have been employing hipermiling techniques unconsciously for a long time. I have always kept the motors in low RPM, skip shifted and I never jack rabbit starts. I did it because I don't like to beat on my cars but it turns out it helps FE as well!

I kind of wonder if cops are going to start getting more aggressive about speeding tickets as people are slowing down. As in it is usually acceptable to go 5-10 over the limit, but now they may start giving tickets for 5 over.

VetteOwner 05-10-2008 03:44 PM

5-10 over??? lol your lucky to not get followed or not pulled over for going anywhere near 5 over around here...

bowtieguy 05-10-2008 04:34 PM

thought i would get pulled over when in the middle of EOC a cop pulled behind me as we approached an off ramp.

i bump started ever so gently, then he preceded to follow me for 10+ miles with PLENTY opportunity to pass. i drove the speed limit rather than below it :mad: , to not seem suspicious.

1993CivicVX 05-10-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 96523)
Have you guys seen any changes in peoples driveing? How people are doing 55mph. Seeing more hybrids and less suv's. How about your friends starting agreeing with you on how you want a hybrid and how they are pretty cool now. I have been seeing all these and more what have you seen if anything.

Yes, definitely have. It's subtle, but not ignorable. When I showed a friend at school how I do EOC all around town--he was totally baffled that I can so seemlessly kill the engine with no ill effects and was like "you gotta show me how to do that." I also see people driving slower. The number of Priuses has been growing steadily over the last few years as well as Hybrid SUVs.

One thing I often notice is when I'm P&Ging on a state road with someone behind me if I do a fast pulse after slowing to 40mph, they often don't speed up, and kinda linger at 40, maybe speed up to 45--it's almost like I've bamboozled them by my odd driving--they end up slowing down overall--allowing me to maintain a low average P&G speed. That, or they pass. But they usually don't tailgate. Kinda interesting.

bowtieguy 06-08-2008 04:36 PM

not many slowing down yet, but i see more small cars and possibly less traffic.