Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   locking gas cap? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/locking-gas-cap-8177.html)

civic94 04-28-2008 06:11 PM

locking gas cap?

just saw the news and gas theft has been going up. they advised that getting the caps would be a good idea, but are those reliable? what if someone pryed it?

also what happens if you loose the key?

2000mc 04-28-2008 06:26 PM

people do lose the key, and sometimes the locking cap fails and will only spin. working as a mechanic, i've been brought these problems. first one took me 10minutes to get off, after a couple i spend as much time gathering a few tools as it takes to remove the caps.

but if someone was going to steal fuel, i think they would skip any vehicle equiped with a locking cap

McPatrick 04-28-2008 08:17 PM

In Europe where gas prices have been higher for like forever pretty much any car built in 1985 and younger has a locking gas cap.
I was very surprised when we got my stepdad's in law 2003 Buick, that it did not have a lcoking gas cap and that you can just open the gas door. And this with a car that holds 20 gallons of gas making it worth the effort to suck up a littel gas before you have it going :)

GasSavers_Ryland 04-28-2008 08:26 PM

I don't thin this would help much on my car, as they have to get in the car to pop open the fuel door, and if they can do that then they might notice the keys sitting on the dash.
The last time I heard about fuel being stolen it was from a hole being drilled in the gas tank, or the drain plug being unscrewed, and this being done on large trucks as you can hide under them with your gas cans.

VetteOwner 04-28-2008 08:49 PM

ya locking gas caps worked in the 70's because noone had cordless drills

NOW thanks to walmart and harbour freight you can buy a cordless drill for $10 and start drillin holes in tanks all you want...

the key is to have your car low enough/park it next to stuff where they cant get to the tank...

also now a days they have screens and stuff to prevent siphon tubes from reaching the tank, they get stuck in the filler neck.

VetteOwner 04-28-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 97215)
I don't thin this would help much on my car, as they have to get in the car to pop open the fuel door, and if they can do that then they might notice the keys sitting on the dash.
The last time I heard about fuel being stolen it was from a hole being drilled in the gas tank, or the drain plug being unscrewed, and this being done on large trucks as you can hide under them with your gas cans.

nah those gas door locks can easily be popped open in 2 seconds with a screwdriver:p or just find the cable underneath the car and pull it lol

mustngr 04-28-2008 09:49 PM

Had a neighbor who liked to siphon gas outta my old Austin Healy. One day i hooked the filler neck directly into a gas can full of ummmmm.... yeller bodily fluids....

BBsGarage 04-29-2008 05:23 AM

Siphoning? Wow ! 70's flashback, and I havent touched that kind of stuff in years ;)

whats next? long lines? alternate days?

probably not, that was a (supposed)shortage

Danronian 04-29-2008 06:11 AM

A lot of tanks today also come with drain plugs which weren't standard in old cars as much. Another easy way to steal gas. Thankfully my car is low enough that they could never get to the tank. :)

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-29-2008 07:03 AM

Personally I'd rather have my gas siphoned through the cap than my tank drilled or stabbed. Unless it's a returning thief... in which case I might boobytrap it with kerosene and hope he blows a piston.