Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Electric and Solar powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Electric Power Steering Pumps... Thoughts? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/electric-power-steering-pumps-thoughts-8250.html)

rgathright 05-04-2008 01:10 PM

Electric Power Steering Pumps... Thoughts?

One part of the Dodge Dakota Hybrid that I am building will be adding an electric power steering pump.

You can find these all over Ebay and I just found this awesome auction listing featuring photos of an install.

Check it and out and let me know what you think!
*Caution: Ebay Listing Link Below*
Electric Power Steering Pump Listing
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCF4737.JPG

froggy81500 05-04-2008 02:25 PM

Why not just an electric power steering assist, like what is found on the Saturn Ion I drive?

civic94 05-04-2008 03:14 PM

doesnt that suck alot of power when you use it? the yaris has it but its a small car, if a bigger, heavier car has it, it will put a huge load on the electrical system

rgathright 05-05-2008 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy81500 (Post 97992)
Why not just an electric power steering assist, like what is found on the Saturn Ion I drive?

Electric power steering assist systems are new to me. I wonder how easy they are to install on another vehicle?

The steering column in Dakota's is not built to handle the mechanical power steering for long. I used to run my 2004 Dakota at the drag strip without power steering, but you could feel the column flex while driving.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 05-05-2008 02:46 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if you could find a manual rack from a dart, aspen, volare etc base model that will fit.

lovemysan 05-05-2008 06:30 PM

$260. Ouch! I could fab something using my existing pump cheaper.

101mpg 05-06-2008 05:06 AM

I can tell you that the electric pump on my wife's Malibu Maxx (41.8 MPG on our last highway trip, btw - this for a vehicle that weighs 3476 pounds - well in excess of 4000 pounds with passenger, driver, full tank of gas and whatever we are hauling) is one of the two drawbacks of this vehicle. If there is not enough juice, then it is choppy steering, and may lock up. Am thinking of getting a regular pump off of a 2007 and putting it on instead.

The other drawback is the car doesn't go if the stereo is broken. Other than that I don't know of any vehicle getting basically the same mileage as a CRX that weighs nearly twice what the CRX does.

theholycow 05-06-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101mpg (Post 98217)
I can tell you that the electric pump on my wife's Malibu Maxx is one of the two drawbacks of this vehicle. If there is not enough juice, then it is choppy steering, and may lock up. Am thinking of getting a regular pump off of a 2007 and putting it on instead.

Perhaps the electric power steering from the Silverado hybrid would do? It's built for a much bigger, heavier vehicle.

rgathright 05-06-2008 05:28 PM

I would also check the wiring around the power steering pump. Ensure that the pump is getting adequate ground by running another wire to the frame near the pump. You can also add a heavier guage cable to for the pump's main positive feed. Finally, make sure your battery is holding a charge. You should have at least 12.6 volts with the engine off.

froggy81500 05-07-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101mpg (Post 98217)
I can tell you that the electric pump on my wife's Malibu Maxx (41.8 MPG on our last highway trip, btw - this for a vehicle that weighs 3476 pounds - well in excess of 4000 pounds with passenger, driver, full tank of gas and whatever we are hauling) is one of the two drawbacks of this vehicle. If there is not enough juice, then it is choppy steering, and may lock up. Am thinking of getting a regular pump off of a 2007 and putting it on instead.

The other drawback is the car doesn't go if the stereo is broken. Other than that I don't know of any vehicle getting basically the same mileage as a CRX that weighs nearly twice what the CRX does.

Is it an actual hydraulic pump with power steering fluid that is driven by an electric motor, or is it like on the Ion's where there is a motor connected to the steering column under the dash?