Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Gas Purchases Rebate/Cash Back? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/gas-purchases-rebate-cash-back-8410.html)

SuperVX 05-15-2008 08:34 AM

Gas Purchases Rebate/Cash Back?

Hello,

Are You Using A Credit Card With Gas Purchases Rebate/Cash Back?

If so, which do you use and how is it working for you?

Erik

:)

SattyFanX4 05-15-2008 08:47 AM

I've had a PayPal debit card since 2000. It's my "credit" card I've been using for every purchase that accepts credit cards. 1.5% on all "credit card" purchases. I've been rebated over $500 over the eight years.

I haven't paid for gas, or much of anything (except vending machines and other small impulse purchases) with cash in-hand. No unnecessary ATM runs to get cash. I get cash back when I pay for my groceries, withdrawn from my Paypal account. Saves a separate trip to the ATM.

Best part of all, this hasn't cost me one penny to use the Paypal debit card.

Only caveat I see is, plan ahead... transfer $ from my checking account into my Paypal account periodically to keep funds in it. Even then, I have backup funding that withdraws from my checking account, just in case I've overdrawn the Paypal account - which hasn't happened yet. <knocks on wood>.

JanGeo 05-15-2008 09:33 AM

Best deal I have seen is a Chase/Hess card that gives 10% off the gas for the first 3 months and 5% after that at Hess stations Pretty soon that will be a great deal when gas is $4+ a gallon. I use an Amazon visa that pays back some 1-3% of purchases sometimes double on Amazon purchases as a $25 gift coupon - have gotten 3 so far = $75 back.

opelgt73 05-15-2008 10:27 AM

My old roommate had a BP visa/rewards card that gave 5% back, it worked great for him, he put everything he could on it and got back about $75 a month.

bowtieguy 05-15-2008 11:46 AM

i use a discover card worth 5% up to the first $100, then 1% thereafter. also use a shell card worth 5% and a visa worth 3%. waiting for any/all to drop me as i pay the balance in full every month!

careful w/ debit cards, they will not support fraudulent purchase rebates the same way credit cards do!

DracoFelis 05-16-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperVX (Post 99972)
Are You Using A Credit Card With Gas Purchases Rebate/Cash Back?

I'm a member of AAA (the auto club), so I just use my AAA VISA for gas. The rebate is 2%-5% (5% of the gas purchase, up to a total of 2% of your total monthly purchases on the card) of the gas I pay for at the pump.

NOTE: This card ONLY has a rebate for gas, and then only when paid for at the pump. There is no rebate on other purchases (with that card). However, other purchases can still give you something back, by raising your gas rebate from the minimum 2% level (up to a max of 5%).

NOTE: The other nice thing about this card, is that the web site lets you make "virtual credit cards" (single use card numbers, linked to your main account). IMHO a very nice extra protection for e-commerce purchases.