Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Disable AWD on a Subaru Legacy by removing a fuse? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/disable-awd-on-a-subaru-legacy-by-removing-a-fuse-8412.html)

oneinchsidehop 05-15-2008 09:23 AM

Disable AWD on a Subaru Legacy by removing a fuse?

I've been told (3 or 4 times now) that you can disable the AWD on a Legacy by removing a fuse... but no one seems to know which one.

Is this an Urban legend?

I'm not willing to drop the transfer case and drive shafts in back, but a fuse? Heck yeah.

theholycow 05-15-2008 09:48 AM

I could swear I saw this question in another thread but now I can't find it. At the time, someone responded that while it was easy enough to do, it didn't save anything because all that weight was still there and all the mechanical stuff still had to be rotated.

oneinchsidehop 05-15-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 99989)
I could swear I saw this question in another thread but now I can't find it. At the time, someone responded that while it was easy enough to do, it didn't save anything because all that weight was still there and all the mechanical stuff still had to be rotated.

The rumor I've heard here is that it's good for 3-5mpg, and dropping the shafts is good for 10+.

Of course, a 2mpg improvement in a Subu-pig that only gets 20mpg is enough for me to get all excited about. This is one tough car to hyper-mile.:mad:

ihatemybike 05-15-2008 10:46 AM

Don't know about Surbarus, but fuse removal works on '99 and newer AWD Astros. The fuse is labeled ATC on the vans, maybe there's a similarly labeled fuse in your Sube.

EH3 05-15-2008 12:32 PM

yes, it's under the hood near the firewall. as i recall it applies to automatic transmissions only because the center diffs are electronically controlled where the manuals are mechanically.

thisisntjared 05-15-2008 12:58 PM

rotating mass is rotating mass. unless you are getting rid of it, its still there unless you are spinning your tires, which wastes even more gas...

however, i could understand if there is some sort of "brake" on either side of the diff that would cause energy to be wasted...

oneinchsidehop 05-15-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EH3 (Post 100030)
yes, it's under the hood near the firewall. as i recall it applies to automatic transmissions only because the center diffs are electronically controlled where the manuals are mechanically.

Found it!!!

But it's already been removed.:mad:
As has the AC belt.:mad:

Dang it, I'm running out of ideas.

EH3 05-15-2008 04:49 PM

sounds like you need a tune up or have a mechanical problem

oneinchsidehop 05-16-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EH3 (Post 100078)
sounds like you need a tune up or have a mechanical problem

Could be both, that'll be checked this week. But I've been getting the EPA combined-EPA highway mileage for the car all along, still do. It's just a 3000lb car with 2 automatic transmissions (FWD+AWD), and the aerodynamics of a Kleenex box.

Most of the people in the area with the same model / options think 20mpg would be great, they usually get 17-18mpg.

Looks like a small car, feels like a big car, drinks like a truck.

EH3 05-16-2008 02:53 AM

i don't ever remember my legacy doing a that bad. it was a manual trans tho. seems like it got ~28mpg pretty consistently.