Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Decided to grab the bull by the horns, gettin' a scooter (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/decided-to-grab-the-bull-by-the-horns-gettin-a-scooter-8559.html)

Rayme 05-22-2008 05:20 PM

Decided to grab the bull by the horns, gettin' a scooter

After much thinkering and Math, I came to the conclusion buying a scooter to go back and forth to work just make sense. I recently sold a car I wasn't using and can pay it cash. And its actually FUN to drive!!!!..and has a dual seat for romantic gethaways with the GF..

As a plus, it will reduce wear and tear, maintenance cost and keep my car's resale value. I know.. I drive a WRX..I promise my next car will be better on gas :p

Oh btw, its a 2005 BEEWEE !!!!! (BW'S in canada, zuma in USA)

https://formula50racing.com/images/08...4_7089166e.jpg

People report a solid average of 80 MPG +. I'm planning on hypermilling on it:D

R.I.D.E. 05-22-2008 05:40 PM

I say why not, they are very popular in places where gas is much more expensive than here in the US.

Now getting my wife on one would be a miracle.

We just leave her 21.8 MPG Murano in the garage and take my 50+ MPG VX.

regards
gary

fumesucker 05-22-2008 05:41 PM

Jacket, gloves and helmet at a minimum..

When you come off you will put your hands down without thinking, it's nice to have something other than flesh and bone grind against the asphalt.

Everyone else on the road is a cretinous homicidal psychopath in a multi ton death machine, they are out to get you and it is only your ability to evade their frantic efforts that stands between you and the long dirt nap.

Nice little machine it looks like, kind of like a Bugeye Sprite on two wheels..

I have a fondness for Yamahas.

Wyldesoul 05-22-2008 06:50 PM

I myself am getting a scooter tomorrow. A 2005 Honda Metropolitan.

Rayme 05-23-2008 03:00 AM

Ditto on that ! I'm looking at full face helm already and all the nice stuff they have for bikes at the store (a padded jacket sounds overkill though).

It'll be fun...filling the car last time cost me 75$ !!! I'd rather see my money go elsewhere than to the oil company even if it means I break even on my purchase.:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumesucker (Post 101644)

When you come off you will put your hands down without thinking, it's nice to have something other than flesh and bone grind against the asphalt.

Everyone else on the road is a cretinous homicidal psychopath in a multi ton death machine, they are out to get you and it is only your ability to evade their frantic efforts that stands between you and the long dirt nap.

Nice little machine it looks like, kind of like a Bugeye Sprite on two wheels..

OokiiMamoru 05-23-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumesucker (Post 101644)

I've thought about a scooter in the past, then I looked out at the state hw.... errr I mean auto bond, and decided I'd rather have steel wrapped around me.

12 miles both ways with expressway ... 18 mpg
24 miles both ways without expressway ... 80 mpg ... path for scooter, bike, or walking. If it was an option, I'd just walk. Darn river and power layout planing. No Public Transit worth mentioning. I work retail (big box superstore) so I pick up everything I need at work, or mail order it.

Granted I'd slightly double my economic range, but what about time and safety.

A motorcycle would probable do me better.

O well.

JESSE69 05-23-2008 04:23 AM

I like this one, would get it if I lived in Chicago.

https://www.cobrasales.com/delivery.htm

GasSavers_Bruce 05-23-2008 04:59 AM

Are there any 50cc bikes out there these days without a CVT? 50ccs would be great for mileage, but a manual transmission would be better for efficient pulses and hill climbing (wide throttle at low RPMs to minimize pumping losses.)

The old Honda CUB had a 50cc and 3-speed tranny with centrifugal clutch, and it could be bump started. Probably not as efficient as bikes with modern engines and aerodynamics, however.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 05-23-2008 05:09 AM

Hmm if you ask me, the cub looked more aerodynamic :D

Rayme 06-01-2008 09:51 AM

Well here's the beast finally.

https://www.pyxismedia.com/beewee/bugeyes.jpg

I got 68 MPG on my first thank! I think I can do better..that tank included driving with the GF 2 times and some "definitly needed" WOT ;)

The EPA rate those at 123 MPG, but from what I read on the Zuma/BWS forums..that's being quite optimistic...

Very happy with my purchase!

https://www.pyxismedia.com/beewee/rear.jpg

I "Can't" wait for those tires to wear out, I want to buy some semi-slick (road) tires.

OdieTurbo 06-01-2008 06:46 PM

Maybe I should get the old Riva out of storage...
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/...dc2f9672_o.jpg

Hateful 06-01-2008 06:57 PM

I saw one being tailgated really close today in a 45mph zone. There was no reason for it as it was ahead of me entering the highway and turned left downhill to another red light. The scooter had to get into the left lane to get to the turning lane into the gas station. People are just mean when smaller vehicles are around them.

MiddleMike 06-02-2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateful (Post 103387)
I saw one being tailgated really close today in a 45mph zone. There was no reason for it as it was ahead of me entering the highway and turned left downhill to another red light. The scooter had to get into the left lane to get to the turning lane into the gas station. People are just mean when smaller vehicles are around them.

Yep. It's like they absolutely seeth hatred sometimes. Bicyclers, scooter riders, even Prius owners, tend to take an inordinate amount of crap from the "I'm entitled to get 8mpg!" minded drivers on the roads.

People would do a lot better in life as individuals and as a collective if they'd stop being so pre-occupied with being mad at the choices others make, imo.

Vino 125cc owner here, btw (and a Boulevard motorcycle as well). Love that little scooter, even though I look kinda weird driving it since I'm a 6'3" guy. But hey, 80mpg is 80mpg.

Rayme 06-02-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTurbo (Post 103386)

do it ! These are so cheap to fix, I bet that thing have years of life ahead :D

I'm currently looking at Honda Ruckus'es(?) as my next scoot, they are 4 strokes and supposely get a pretty solid 100 MPG, though it's a little bit slower and only sit one (big downside).

And yea, people need to share the road a little more, tailgating a 2 wheel from a couple feet is different than tailgating a car.

dkjones96 06-02-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateful (Post 103387)
I saw one being tailgated really close today in a 45mph zone.

Honestly, people like that make me so mad I'd probably come to a stop buy that guy and slash a tire on his car right before the light greens... I got the Rebel this weekend so maybe I should leave the knife at home now? lol

QDM 06-02-2008 08:45 AM

I'd be tempted to rig a spray can of paint remover or brake fluid aimed toward the rear that could be activated with a cable.

Q

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayme (Post 103437)
And yea, people need to share the road a little more, tailgating a 2 wheel from a couple feet is different than tailgating a car.

Hateful 06-02-2008 08:46 AM

I often stay behind them in the 45mph zones just so they can make it to the next turn without being hit. Usually they aren't going very far. Maybe a 1/4 mile before back on city streets where they can run the speed limit. I did get close ( about 3 feet)at the first traffic controlled light because I don't think it's heavy enough to trip the light.

bobc455 06-02-2008 11:31 AM

I looked at these and was all gung-ho until I looked at the purchase price! For $6-8k for a new one, it would be a LOT of commutes before I made up the difference. I'd have to do a payback schedule to be certain, but since I can only use it with good-enough weather, it would probably be many many years before it pays for itself.

GasSavers_BIBI 06-02-2008 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 103521)
I looked at these and was all gung-ho until I looked at the purchase price! For $6-8k for a new one, it would be a LOT of commutes before I made up the difference. I'd have to do a payback schedule to be certain, but since I can only use it with good-enough weather, it would probably be many many years before it pays for itself.

$ 6-8K For what a vespa maybe but you a 50cc NEW is less than 3k, for a 125cc (a vino) 3.6k new.

For $ 6-8K you actually get a nice Honda reflex 250cc that is pretty much a small motocycle with the style of a cruiser (2 seats, adjsutable suspension, 3 transmission mode (a sport one!). These things go on the interstate easily. Yamaha also offered a 400cc that is pretty much like the relfex. I added the picture of the yamaha.

Its good and all for the price, the MPG, the inssurance price (because its a scooter) but the only thing I dislike its that you actually need to have your motocycle license, and I do not have them! It would cost me about 600-700$. Anyway I would have money for one now so I'm just waiting to make up my mind.

Rayme 06-02-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Ugh what? lol, the scooter like mine is about 2200-2400 $ US new depending on the offers. If you want a 1 seater like teh Honda Ruckus or Yamaha C3 / Vino they are even cheaper. A brand new Kawasaki Ninja 250 which is a nice sporty bike won't even tip the 5000$ scale and gets nice MPG. But you probably want the bigger machines eh? :rolleyes: :D

dkjones96 06-02-2008 01:52 PM

There are also those Chinese knock off scooters that are so loaded with stuff and cheap (150cc for 1,000 USD) that even if it doesn't last two years it still pays for itself.

OdieTurbo 06-02-2008 05:09 PM

Oops, almost forgot! Rayme, that's a neat-o scooter :)

Snax 06-02-2008 06:59 PM

Freakin' gas hogs, all of them!

I know it wouldn't work for everybody, but I've got a 2-stroke 50cc frame mount bike kit on the way. It's supposedly good for 120-150 mpg without pedalling. ;)

Hateful 06-02-2008 07:18 PM

back in the 70's I met someone who had a model airplane motor and propeller mounted on the back of a bicycle. I'm sure the issue was not gas, but no NC drivers license.

MiddleMike 06-03-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

My Vino cost $2,400 out the door, new (2005). The same dealership offers used but good condition low mileage scooters, some that go 68mph, for $1,100 to $2,000 on a regular basis.

As with anything don't go with the first thing you see on the internet or at a dealership. Most scooters are so reasonably priced that you make up the cost with gas savings in a year, tops (weather permitting). Then it's pure gravy my friend, pure gravy.

ZugyNA 06-03-2008 03:40 AM

DIY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7wid_8k_7k

TANGOJETTA 06-03-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTurbo (Post 103386)

I got the same scooter, is yours a 180cc or 200cc?

bobc455 06-03-2008 06:13 AM

I must've done a poor web search then. But yes, the ones I saw were Hondas & Vespas, I assumed they were middle-of-the-road and that's why I abandoned the search.

Hafta look into those others, they would have a lot quicker payback period...

-BC

dkjones96 06-03-2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 103652)
I must've done a poor web search then. But yes, the ones I saw were Hondas & Vespas, I assumed they were middle-of-the-road and that's why I abandoned the search.

Hafta look into those others, they would have a lot quicker payback period...

-BC

You should check out local dealers. You might be surprised how cheap you can get a used scooter for.. craigslist is also a good place to start if you aren't worried about feeling like a cheap *** by trying to talk someone down on a price.

Overall I think motorcycle dealers are much easier to work with than car dealers.

Rayme 06-03-2008 01:04 PM

I picked mine up for 1800$ with only 1500 KM.

These are easy to fix yourself or bring to a friend, buy those used are very different than cars. Even if the engine goes you're looking at a 200$ fix.
Tires are like 35$, etc... They're fun as hell to scoot around in the little subdivisions.

I know the mileage sucks for the engine size (The engine is around 30-36 time smaller than a small car inline-4 and only gets rougly 4x the gas mileage). But you need to keep in mind the load and almost WOT usage...also due to the CVT these little buggers almost revs in the 6000-9000 RPM, carbed. Still not too bad ;)

GasSavers_Colin 06-13-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 103655)
You should check out local dealers. You might be surprised how cheap you can get a used scooter for.

True! During my search for a Ruckus (which I found! :D) I encountered several lightly-used and new non-current Honda Metropolitans in the $1100-1200 range. These were available at dealerships, financing and warrantee available. There's really no reason to go with a Twist-N-Go, Tank, or other Chinese scooter when you can have a Honda for the same price. That is, unless you want that big GY6 engine (and I do...) :p

Colin

cugir321 06-14-2008 08:01 PM

vino

Looked at new yamaha vino's today...didn't realise that the bike shops were modified car dealerships. Started at 2100.00 with prep and all the crap stuff...almost three grand....said keep it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 105785)
True! During my search for a Ruckus (which I found! :D) I encountered several lightly-used and new non-current Honda Metropolitans in the $1100-1200 range. These were available at dealerships, financing and warrantee available. There's really no reason to go with a Twist-N-Go, Tank, or other Chinese scooter when you can have a Honda for the same price. That is, unless you want that big GY6 engine (and I do...) :p

Colin

Snax 06-15-2008 01:09 PM

Well I finally got my 2-stroke kit together on my junk/recycled parts bike yesterday and it is a hoot to ride. Yes, it's clattery and loud, and a bit smelly to ride, but it's allot quicker than pedalling! That and the total cost for it including the bike was less than $250.

Frankly, I chose the motored bike option because my commute is relatively short at 4 miles. If the engine drops all of it's parts out the bottom, I can still pedal the rest of the way. If my commute were more than 10 miles or so, the Ruckus would definately be my top pick. It doesn't have a bunch of fancy plastic crap or sparkles. It just does what it's supposed to do.

cugir321 06-15-2008 05:31 PM

who'd you buy the kit from?

Is it one that rides on the tire or does it have a chain or belt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snax (Post 106023)
Well I finally got my 2-stroke kit together on my junk/recycled parts bike yesterday and it is a hoot to ride. Yes, it's clattery and loud, and a bit smelly to ride, but it's allot quicker than pedalling! That and the total cost for it including the bike was less than $250.

Frankly, I chose the motored bike option because my commute is relatively short at 4 miles. If the engine drops all of it's parts out the bottom, I can still pedal the rest of the way. If my commute were more than 10 miles or so, the Ruckus would definately be my top pick. It doesn't have a bunch of fancy plastic crap or sparkles. It just does what it's supposed to do.

Snax 06-16-2008 07:28 PM

The kit I got is frame mounted and chain driven with a dry plate (automotive style) clutch. There's no pull starter and the only drag on the driveline with the clutch disengaged is from the chain and two extra cogs, which isn't enough to wear a person out, though it might slow them down about 1 mph. You can see it at That'sDax.com.

Similar kits have reportedly gone over 40 mph with minor modifications. Today on the way to work, I kept it around 15-20 most of the way for break-in. It feels like it will pull me to just over 30 mph or so on the flats which is really plenty for me - and twice the legal speed limit for a 'motor assisted bicycle' in the state of Oregon. :P