Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Canadian VX - how to change instrument cluster (need Miles/Hour)? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/canadian-vx-how-to-change-instrument-cluster-need-miles-hour-8797.html)

djenyc 06-05-2008 05:11 AM

Canadian VX - how to change instrument cluster (need Miles/Hour)?

Hi, I just got a 92 Civic VX for my wife - it was brought from Canada a few years ago. So right now odometer and speedometer read in Km/h, which is Ok, but if I could get it to read MPH for cheap, I'd rather do that.

I wonder, is switching instruments cluster with US version a straight swap, or do I need to replace anything else (e.g speed sensor, ECU, etc)?

Also, how much should I expect to pay for those parts off of Ebay?

Thanks

Ross

GasSavers_TomO 06-05-2008 07:54 AM

The conversion should be a plug and play swap as far as I know. Finding a VX specific cluster and not paying $100 for it is hard to do though.

One thing you might try, if you're inclined to tinker, is to just grab a speedometer out of a cluster and just swap that portion. It's only three more screws and a couple of clips more than just swapping out the entire cluster. That way you are assured to maintain the proper tachometer and upshift indicator in your cluster.

theholycow 06-05-2008 08:00 AM

The cheap way would be to just re-label the speedometer. White-out (or paint matching the background color) and a Sharpie (or a whiteout-pen if the background is black) would do the job.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 06-05-2008 08:05 AM

Floating around on the net you might find "overlays" for people who wanted black letters on white, yellow on purple etc etc...

djenyc 06-05-2008 08:17 AM

TomO, thanks for informative reply. For replacing the speedometer, do you know if any one from another model 92-95 Civic will work, or is it VX specific?

theholycow - don't think sharpie will fly by my wife, convincing her to give up her 2002 car for a 92 will be hard enough.

GasSavers_TomO 06-05-2008 09:59 AM

For just swapping out the speedo portion, any model Civic speedo will work.

djenyc 06-05-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 104127)
For just swapping out the speedo portion, any model Civic speedo will work.

Thanks, I'll do just that. I saw a bunch of them on ebay for under $50

GasSavers_TomO 06-06-2008 06:39 AM

There are How-To's with pictures on Honda-tech if you want to search for them. But in order to swap out the speedo, you just need to push in the clear plastic tabs around the edge of the cluster to pop off the clear plastic cover, then remove the black bezel, then remove the three screws holding in the speedometer and swap them between clusters. Also look for any tears or cracks on the plastic circuit board on your original cluster and replace that as well, if needed.