Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   cruise control (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/cruise-control-8857.html)

93dagsr 06-09-2008 06:28 AM

cruise control

on my recent trip to albuquerque nm i was kind of confused by my cc. i thought that it was supposed to hold the speed in a smooth flow? on my way back i had the cc set to 80 mph the whole way back and noticed that it pulse and glided. :thumbup: i didn't fill up again because i got home around twelve last night and was too tired to do anything. i will try to fill up again tonight to see what my outcome was.

oops i rambled. my question is: did the manufacturers add p&g to cc?? :D

dkjones96 06-09-2008 06:54 AM

We're about 2,000ft higher elevation than you are normally in El Paso, could it be that your cruise control was having trouble keeping speed? I run into that in Flagstaff, AZ and they are only about 1000-1500ft higher than the 5,500ft ABQ is at. You should see how my car runs at 10,000ft after driving to the top of Sandia... it's kinda sad.

Now that I think about it, I-25 doesn't have a whole lot of grades and such to cause a problem so who knows!

GasSavers_Erik 06-09-2008 07:19 AM

I had an intermittent issue like that with my 87 Integra cruise control- up and down by 1-2 mph. It annoyed me so I would turn it off and then reset it. Sometimes just reseting it would get it back to to keeping me at a steady speed.

93dagsr 06-09-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 104806)
We're about 2,000ft higher elevation than you are normally in El Paso, could it be that your cruise control was having trouble keeping speed? I run into that in Flagstaff, AZ and they are only about 1000-1500ft higher than the 5,500ft ABQ is at. You should see how my car runs at 10,000ft after driving to the top of Sandia... it's kinda sad.

Now that I think about it, I-25 doesn't have a whole lot of grades and such to cause a problem so who knows!

lol! yea i didn't notice it untill i put my foot right next to it(i was wearing sandals) and i could feel the pedal slightly, very slightly move up and down. and i was on a flat part. on the obvious parts inclines/declines it did what it was supposed to do. this is kind of the way i counted it:
i would set the cc at 80 and it would accelerate to get acclimated i guess. then it would let up for about two seconds and get back on it for four then get off for two seconds and on again for four, and this was on the flat part of the road.

VetteOwner 06-09-2008 10:25 AM

chevettes kinda does this, but really really bad, like id set it it would be slowly accelerating all by itself then it would fully let off the gas (manual tranny slows way fast) then gun it to get back to speed...

93dagsr 06-09-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 104814)
I had an intermittent issue like that with my 87 Integra cruise control- up and down by 1-2 mph. It annoyed me so I would turn it off and then reset it. Sometimes just reseting it would get it back to to keeping me at a steady speed.

the speed wasn't affected at all it stayed at a constant 80 mph so long as i let the cc do its thing. i did notice the feeling on my foot as the pedal let off and on slightly, and the tone of the engine.

93dagsr 06-09-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 104853)
chevettes kinda does this, but really really bad, like id set it it would be slowly accelerating all by itself then it would fully let off the gas (manual tranny slows way fast) then gun it to get back to speed...

sounds kinda scary. lol! :eek:

GasSavers_Erik 06-09-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93dagsr (Post 104854)
the speed wasn't affected at all it stayed at a constant 80 mph so long as i let the cc do its thing. i did notice the feeling on my foot as the pedal let off and on slightly, and the tone of the engine.

Do you have an automatic or a 5 speed? In any case- about what is your rpm at 60?

I'm just curious- I looked at an auto 93 civic ex for sale 2 weeks ago (not running) and wondered how tall the trans was geared.

dkjones96 06-09-2008 11:11 AM

My Cressida did this because of a vacuum leak in the CC system.

VetteOwner 06-09-2008 11:36 AM

it only does it if its cold, i bet grease in the cable prolly makes it hang up...