Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Coroplast ethics? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/coroplast-ethics-9008.html)

theholycow 06-17-2008 04:25 PM

Coroplast ethics?

Today, on the way home from work, I started seeing some semi-gimmicky "Make $10/hr" coroplast signs. Of course, now when I see that sort of thing I think "ooh, aero mod material".

The first one was on public resevoir land, very illegally placed, and I have no qualms about taking it. In fact, I would take it even if I didn't want it, just to take ugly litter away from such a beautiful place. I will take that one tomorrow for sure.

I would also not hesitate to take any that had pyramid schemes or scams advertised; I'd take those from pretty much anywhere. As well, I'd take any posted to telephone poles or blocking traffic visibility. I did not see any that match those parameters but I'm just saying it to clarify my values.

Others that I did see are in spots where I believe they probably weren't placed without consent from the land owner/occupant -- one in front of a store, one on a small nicely landscaped spot between a house and a small business (not sure which side owns that land). On one hand, these are also littering/polluting an otherwise pleasant drive, but on the other hand they may have gotten permission, and I would not want to mess with that. I suspect that they did NOT get permission, and that those signs will be removed by the land owner/occupant very quickly anyway. Should I take them?

Hateful 06-17-2008 04:32 PM

Take them; The local government should stop them from being posted to begin with. As an added value some poor sucker will not see the sign and be taken in by the scam.

friz 06-17-2008 04:35 PM

I also use coroplast for model airplanes. I consider election time "Harvest Time".

Hateful 06-17-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friz (Post 106528)
I also use coroplast for model airplanes. I consider election time "Harvest Time".

it's the only campaign promise you can count on.

Jay2TheRescue 06-17-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 106522)
Today, on the way home from work, I started seeing some semi-gimmicky "Make $10/hr" coroplast signs. Of course, now when I see that sort of thing I think "ooh, aero mod material".

The first one was on public resevoir land, very illegally placed, and I have no qualms about taking it. In fact, I would take it even if I didn't want it, just to take ugly litter away from such a beautiful place. I will take that one tomorrow for sure.

I would also not hesitate to take any that had pyramid schemes or scams advertised; I'd take those from pretty much anywhere. As well, I'd take any posted to telephone poles or blocking traffic visibility. I did not see any that match those parameters but I'm just saying it to clarify my values.

Others that I did see are in spots where I believe they probably weren't placed without consent from the land owner/occupant -- one in front of a store, one on a small nicely landscaped spot between a house and a small business (not sure which side owns that land). On one hand, these are also littering/polluting an otherwise pleasant drive, but on the other hand they may have gotten permission, and I would not want to mess with that. I suspect that they did NOT get permission, and that those signs will be removed by the land owner/occupant very quickly anyway. Should I take them?

I'd go for it. Here in Loudoun county, VA all signs like that are in violation of the sign ordanances. I'd have no problems taking one from the median strip when I stop at the light on the way home. I've been thinking about blocking off my rear wheelwells. Corrugated plastic should work perfectly. Its strong and lightweight.

Hodag'stiva 06-17-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friz (Post 106528)

I was about to say before Hateful beat me to it - we're heading for an election cycle where they've got enough money to put two signs in everyone's yard. I don't think anyone will miss them.

I subscribe to a rather broad view of "abandoned" property.

B

OokiiMamoru 06-17-2008 06:00 PM

Thanks for the reminder, I need to write a nasty email to a real estate agent.

Try being stuck behind someone randomly putting outs signs on a 2 lane state highway during rush hour. No opportunity to pass, too curvy and hilly. My MPG really took a hit and I can't really afford to take that kind of hit. I rally should have called 911 but was only a mile and half from my destination.

OM

DRW 06-17-2008 08:42 PM

I just had an idea!
Can't we just call our local candidate office and say that we support their candidate, and we would like to place a sign in our front yard?

showing your support, of course.

It's an easy way to get some coroplast. :)

Jay2TheRescue 06-18-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRW (Post 106593)
I just had an idea!
Can't we just call our local candidate office and say that we support their candidate, and we would like to place a sign in our front yard?

showing your support, of course.

It's an easy way to get some coroplast. :)

Be sure you support the candidate with the biggest signs!

-Jay

goofy1 06-18-2008 03:27 AM

well all i have to say is. if you didn't pay for it or it wasn't given to you. thats stealing and not right. you could just call the office of the candidate and ask when the compain is over if you could take some, since they'll just throw them away you know.