Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Wow, A/C sucks! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/wow-a-c-sucks-9023.html)

Brian D. 06-19-2008 06:40 AM

A/C....bittersweet

As an 8-year CRX HF owner WITHOUT A/C, I will admit..no A/C sucks. It really really sucks. But you can get used to it. It all depends on what you use your car for. I take 7-hour trips each weekend (sorry), and in the summer I'm typically soaked when I arrive at my destination. Hell, even an hour in the car gets me pretty saturated some days. I have gotten used to bringing a change of clothes to wherever I'm going in the summer. Some days it doesn't matter. The vent is only so-so cool until those ducts heat up, then all you've got is hot air blowing in your face.

However, I will be starting a new job in a few weeks; one that I will have to use my car for ...and visit clients. Needless to say I've begun installing A/C in my CRX. It's not a difficult job. I only worry how much it will hurt my FE. I'm going to try to cycle the A/C to maximize MPG. Oh, one huge BONUS is that I'll finally get to clear the fog from the inside of the car now when it rains once I get a compressor installed!!! wohoo!!

dosco 06-19-2008 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian D. (Post 106879)
Oh, one huge BONUS is that I'll finally get to clear the fog from the inside of the car now when it rains once I get a compressor installed!!! wohoo!!

The fog inside the car is a moisture buildup. The A/C may help by drying the air on the inside of the car, however opening the windows and putting the defrost on (with it in the "hot" position) will certainly remove the moisture.

I am always amazed when I drive and see cars with the inside glass totally covered with moisture. Makes me wonder if these folks know how to use the defrost features that come with the car.

Ford Man 06-19-2008 07:06 AM

I started a thread the other day about a/c use and according to my scan gauge my fuel efficency went way up if I cut the a/c off while going down hill and ran it while going up hill. I was able to keep the car at a tolerable temperature doing this and had good mileage too.

theholycow 06-19-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosco (Post 106885)
The fog inside the car is a moisture buildup.

https://sporko.com/videos/312/Family_Guy:_Condensation :D

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 06-19-2008 07:50 AM

Last week when it was 95F and damn near 110F equivalent with the humidity index, I was driving along with the blowers on full and all the vents wide open and wondering if I should fix my A/C... coz I was beginning to feel a bit dopey and unsafe.

Jay2TheRescue 06-19-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosco (Post 106885)
The fog inside the car is a moisture buildup. The A/C may help by drying the air on the inside of the car, however opening the windows and putting the defrost on (with it in the "hot" position) will certainly remove the moisture.

I am always amazed when I drive and see cars with the inside glass totally covered with moisture. Makes me wonder if these folks know how to use the defrost features that come with the car.

Most cars automatically turn on the a/c compressor when the defogger/defroster is turned on. It dehumidifies the air and makes it easier for the moisture to evaporate from the glass. I remember my mom's old Chrysler LeBaron didn't though. I used to tell her to hit the a/c button when she had the defogger on and the windows will clear much faster. She'd never do it though.

StorminMatt 06-21-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greybrick (Post 106760)
Must have been difficult for our grandfolks years back to survive who never had an AC to turn on. ;)

There is a reason why people tended to settle in places with less hot summers before A/C became popular. Without A/C, there would be FAR fewer people living in such places as Atlanta, Phoenix, and the State of Texas than there currently are. Avoiding living in hot climates is the one BIG way that people dealt with heat before A/C.