Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Newb from Louisville, Ky (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/newb-from-louisville-ky-9149.html)

travr6 06-25-2008 03:44 PM

Newb from Louisville, Ky

I am sure you all are getting tons of new members with the rising gas prices.
I will be getting a 95 Honda Civic VX very soon. I currently own a 98 VW GTI VR6.

My plans are to mod the VX out for nothing but fuel efficiency. Reduce weight where I can and add anything that will get me better gas mileage.

Anyone else from Louisville?

GasSavers_ColonelPanic 06-25-2008 05:18 PM

Welcome aboard! I'm in the area too, over on the other side of the bridge. :cool:

Anyway, congrats on the VX - that seems to be a popular car around here. I bet you'll find plenty of folks who can give you good info on tweaking that sucker for excelent FE.

goofy1 06-26-2008 04:38 AM

welcome, i'm from the other side of the river as well. Get ready for lots of info on get more mpg.

travr6 06-26-2008 07:51 AM

I look forward to all the help

1993CivicVX 06-26-2008 09:32 AM

before you mod your car, you may want to read up on techniques and tweaks to your driving habits to improve your FE. For instance, accelerating slowly and evenly seems to be making a significant improvement on my FE combined with engine off coasting compared with trying to maintain as low as possible RPM .

travr6 06-26-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX (Post 108276)
before you mod your car, you may want to read up on techniques and tweaks to your driving habits to improve your FE. For instance, accelerating slowly and evenly seems to be making a significant improvement on my FE combined with engine off coasting compared with trying to maintain as low as possible RPM .

Yeah I have already read all of that.

I am not going to be a hypermiler by any means. doing 45 mph in a 65 does not enthuse me.

I generally drive the speed limit on the highway. In town I coast a lot which is why a stick shift was mandatory.

My driving habits are already decent. I am not looking to break any records on gas mileage.

theholycow 06-26-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travr6 (Post 108316)
I am not going to be a hypermiler by any means. doing 45 mph in a 65 does not enthuse me.

Not all hypermilers must go slow. I still pass most other traffic on the road, and often find it's difficult to practice my hypermiling strategies when I'm stuck behind slow traffic. I am getting results. I'm not beating the EPA by 150% like some people, but I am beating the EPA by 50% merely by shifting very low (using WOT) and P&G (engine on). I experimented with EOC recently, and believe that I will beat the EPA by 100% when I commit to EOC and get some practice. In my experiment I beat the EPA by 75%.

I could probably get better numbers by going slower, but comfort is too important to me, so I hypermile at speeds that are comfortable for me. I guess that's why I put "Moderatemiler" as my title.